Time travel.. if its possible why havent we seen it.

Associate
After reading the speed of light thread it got me thinking, now im no physics expert im just an amateur :)

People say that time travel isnt possible because if it
was how come people havent visited us from the future ( future us) to say its been possible etc.

I have this theory, TL;DR is that it already probably has been done.. in an alternative reality, not our own.

i think that the reason it isnt possible is because in this reality we quite simply havent invented it yet, for the future to travel to us, for us to see the future us, wed have to have invented it and you think well, we will in the future and wed go visit ourselves and share the knowledge, but.. wheres the future us now and why arnt they here, therefore time travel isnt possible.

simply put, its most likely not possible, in our reality, in this parrallel universe, probably

I think its because if time travel was actually possibly we cannot travel in our own reality but into another, that reality where scientists apparently say therres an infinite number of realities or something, parrallel universes, is what im trying to get at. I think thats why we havent seen ourselves, im complicating mysef here but i think i know what im getting at i hope you do too.

If we were to ever invent it, we would travel to the past but wed end up in an alternative reality to us. Not us in the past, in our reality.

I think it ties in with the science behind there being an infinite number of parrallel realities and it ties in with time, and that if we time travel we actually get zapped from our own reality and into another, hence if we do invent it, the person traveling would quite simply cease to exist ? :p

Then you ask, if this theory held any balls, then why hasnt someone from an 'alternative realitiy parallel thingmajig' visited us from a parallel universe of their own after inventing it and travel to us and ending up here, well the fact that theres an infinite number of parralel universes/realities means the odds of it happening are infinite to 1. and we havent yet won that lottery.

This is GD and im probably rambling on but the thought interested me in the past 10 mins ahaha im being serious in a crude amateur way. also consumed half a bottle of wine.

Ignore me haha

unless what ive said makes sense and interests you

Last edited:
Soldato
Time travel to the past is at present, impossible. Which is why we see no one from the future.

Time travel to the future is done by simply travelling as close to the speed of light as you can. As time goes slower the faster you go, you could age minutes and everyone else would age years.

:p

Associate
OP
It must be impossible at all times, otherwise (assuming that we have a future so vast that it might as well be infinite) we would have proof in someone/something coming back to our time from that future.

but this is what im trying to get at :p the fact there are an infinite number of parrallel universes ( apparently) gives more of a chance/link of it being possible.fair enough if only one universe existed and that was the be all end all, but apparently there an ininite number and if say each one was at a different point in time and each one lasted 160 billion years it would be that times 160 billion so it would = infinite. If each parrallel universe was at a different time, you wouldnt actually be traveling you would just be visiting that particular one that its particular time in its moment. I guess i dont habve a point just atheory neither can i really back it up ut it holds some substantial thought. That if we did invent it, we cannot 'travel' only access a parrallel world. dont know how, something to do with travelling faster than light blah blah go to sleep gary.

Last edited:
Associate
as i can see it time travel is possible but not backwards. jumping forwards is do-able, and when (if) we do then we will jump in tech terms as we could send a ship out with the best scientists and researchers get her up to the speed of light send them off and see what they come back with.

but i'm not sure how this would work as we would need a propulsion system that can work up to the speed of light, and also a nav' system that can analyse at faster than the speed of light.

thinking about time travel sucks almost as much as films that use it. :(

Associate
OP
what im saying is that is that for someone to access ourtime from another, it wouldnt really be time travel to but the ability to shift from parrallel to parrallel and for that to happen they would have to try at a convinient time of their own intelligence a la if they tried but got a dusty planet or tried and got a la black space. theyd have to try and hit gold to visit us, and get to us, on earth. this would take infinite attempts. but theyd also fail infinitely. dosent accessing parrallel universes require moving fatser than light?

Soldato
Maybe in the grand scheme of our existence this isn't a particularly interesting time so there's no point sending someone back to this point in time? Time travel could be achieved a billion years in the future so who knows what events could occur in that duration which makes the last ten thousand years totally insignificant?

Soldato
Time travel may be possible but only when we make the initial connection to another period of time.

Imagine it to be if there was a machine that humans created which created a hole in time between 2 moments, these 2 moments would be from the time the machine was switched on, to the time at current in the future. You could never go back prior to the second this machine was turned on, but you could go back in time after the machine was turned on, from any point in the future so long as there is still a constant wormhole which has been created to traverse through.

In theory, as soon as the machine is turned on, we could get people from the future coming through said wormhole to our own time, we could also go to their time in our future, which would be their present.

Man of Honour
Time travel to the past is at present, impossible. Which is why we see no one from the future.

Sort of, someone going "back in time" would split the timeline off at that point and start a new timeline so it wouldn't change the original timeline thats already happened.

Soldato
Time travel is impossible simply because time is not an extra dimension, there is no past and future existing simultaneously, think of it like motion or the rate of change, you can 'travel' or rather wait for the future by freezing yourself, orbiting a blackhole or moving near the speed of light but that's not really time travel, you can never go backwards because there is nothing to go back to, only the present exists and time is actually more like like motion.

Associate
OP
Time travel is impossible simply because time is not an extra dimension, there is no past and future existing simultaneously, think of it like motion or the rate of change, you can 'travel' or rather wait for the future by freezing yourself, orbiting a blackhole or moving near the speed of light but that's not really time travel, you can never go backwards because there is nothing to go back to, only the present exists and time is actually more like like motion.

But in a parralle universe sense, there is one with a date and time of 23/09/11 1.30 am and there is one with a date and time f 22/09/11 2.30pm, if you were to step from one into the other, it would be considered time travel, therefore what you say about a future and past not existing still stands as it still dosent exist in one of the universes, but yet you are still able to step from the past to preset just not in your own universe/reality.

I a nuteshell i think time travelling in our own universe/time is impossible, having the technology to step into another is possible and frankly i think its why weve not had anyone visit us from the past/future and thats because i only think that time travel is possible to visit a parrallel world ( if one actually exists)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Then why has a parallel world not visited us? Indeed, how would a time-traveller be able to return to their point of origin if travel is undefined?

Let's be honest though: any theoretical travellers would be all too mindfull of their potential impact and of paradoxes to wish to make themeselves totally known. Indeed, what's to stop present authorities taking an interest in their technologies? The reality is they would probably take great care to avoid being seen.

Soldato
Imagine it to be if there was a machine that humans created which created a hole in time between 2 moments, these 2 moments would be from the time the machine was switched on, to the time at current in the future. You could never go back prior to the second this machine was turned on, but you could go back in time after the machine was turned on, from any point in the future so long as there is still a constant wormhole which has been created to traverse through.

Funny you should say that. A very clever man called Kip Thorne and his graduate student come up with a similar idea.

Wikipedia said:
Wormholes connect two points in spacetime, which means that they would in principle allow travel in time, as well as in space. In 1988, Morris, Thorne and Yurtsever worked out explicitly how to convert a wormhole traversing space into one traversing time.[2] However, according to general relativity it would not be possible to use a wormhole to travel back to a time earlier than when the wormhole was first converted into a time machine by accelerating one of its two mouths.

It would require an insane amount of energy to actually keep wormholes open to get stuff through. The amount of radiation would be stupid. It's basically natures way of saying "no, not happening". Interesting stuff though :)

Soldato
It must be impossible at all times, otherwise (assuming that we have a future so vast that it might as well be infinite) we would have proof in someone/something coming back to our time from that future.

There is a Charlie Chaplin DVD that strangely shows what looks like someon with a mobile phone in movie. Very bizarre.

I suspect it is possible to go back in time which might explain some of the UFO activity. It also might explain why certain old structures were built.

Back
Top Bottom