1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for going from K+M to Controller

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Casdawer, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Casdawer

Mobster

So the wife and I are finally having a baby and so my study/gaming room is to be converted to a baby room! :(

Because of this, there is no space in the house to put the PC/Desk so I've bit the bullet and bought an Xbox One X which I admit I'm quite enjoying! (Game Pass is a steal!)

3rd Person games are fine as I used a controller for them on the PC however for FPS, I'm getting my arse kicked left, right and center, even in SP games like Wolfenstein 2.

With M+K I'd be fine but aiming with thumb-sticks just seems impossible to line up a shot (forget sniping!)

Has anyone else made the move from K+M to controller and can offer some sage advise?

2. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Practice. The muscle memory will come with some repetition.

I can't aim with mouse and kB for toffee anymore, much better with a controller.

3. Zatoichi.uK

Mobster

Basically start with a really low sens and then gradually ramp it up, say once a week. When you get to the point where it doesn't help to increase it further settle on that.

4. Explosivo

Hitman

Just play with one until you get good

5. shorttricky

Wise Guy

6. Suicidal Ferret

Gangster

As with any new skill, practice, practice and more practice. Or were you incredible with a M&K from day one?

7. Poneros

Mobster

Get a lap rest for m&kb. Reality is 99% of console players are just letting auto-aim do the work.

8. Supercow

Capodecina

As most said above, I came from twitch shooter background / MMO etc., and moved to console some years ago. At first I simply could not get the hang of it, but with time it gets much better.

Take FPS games for example, you get used to 'exploiting' the aim assist feature. For example, instead of aiming down sight to hit multiple enemies, you learn to unfocus (if that's the correct term), and then snap back to the enemy.

9. MoDe

Hitman

One thing I've picked up is that you have to think about you crosshair placement a lot more, as you can't rely on your quick flick shots. Seems to be helping me quite a bit in Halo on xbox.

10. Scort

Mobster

Just keep at it - took me 2 weeks to get to grips with a joypad on the 360, after gaming on PC for over a decade; didn't need to change sensitivity or anything, I simply kept at it and it just clicked.

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

As above, especially coming from KB+M, you need to kind of unfocus and let aim assist do a lot of the work - personally I find it a thoroughly unsatisfying experience.

12. Casdawer

Mobster

Thanks for the tips guys.

Played over the weekend and not it's getting better!

Loving the X at the moment.