Titanium PSU worth it?

Soldato
Unlikely. The efficiency differences get small at the top end of the 80Plus certifications but the prices rise very quickly.

Plot your usage and the cost between the two and see how long it takes to break even. It'll be a while I'd imagine.

Associate
If you are looking for the best possible reliability then yes, a Titanium PSU is well worth it. I have the Seasonic Prime 850W and this is what JonnyGuru says about it:

Reviews - Seasonic Prime 850W
Performance 10
Functionality 10
Value 10
Build Quality 10

Total Score 10

Summary

This is to date the most stable power supply I have ever tested. By far. It gave me beyond mythic regulation to the point I might have to buy a new meter to quantify stability in anything else like it, ripple control was insanely good, and the unit was pushing 95% efficiency at one point. But it's like I said on page three... I think you're looking at the power supply equivalent of Michael Phelps, here. Both the storm chaser and the swimmer. Most of you, I think, are going to get one that stays a little more toward the 0.5% average regulation number. You know, like my revised 750W model had. And you won't complain about that, because it's still just about the best thing on the market, performance wise. But a few of you - and I don't have any clue how many, because I'm not a God - will get one like this. I've got the 650W model yet to come, and you better believe I'm looking forward to running that one now.

The Good:

damn near perfect voltage regulation
beyond excellent ripple suppression
fully modular
semi-fanless mode
are you kidding, you really need more reasons to buy one?

The Bad:

currently, the highest capacity Titanium Seasonic makes

The Mediocre:

the ball's in your court, Super Flower - get those capacitors out of your cables and fire back!

Enough said - if you have the money buy one :)

Soldato
If you are looking for the best possible reliability then yes, a Titanium PSU is well worth it. I have the Seasonic Prime 850W and this is what JonnyGuru says about it:

Enough said - if you have the money buy one :)

Unless you can buy one for the same price as a Gold unit then it still isn't worth it. You are not going to save that much on electricity to make it worthwhile. Also the efficiency has no bearing on reliability/quality.

Soldato
All be it, in the case of a titanium level PSU the requirement of components to achieve that class probably do have a bearing. It would be very hard (if not impossible) to make a cheap/poor Titanium PSU. :)
Platinum level would also be very difficult to achieve with cheap parts.

That not to say the may be issues, like unforeseen design flaws, but not likely down to scrimping with cheap components.

At gold efficiency level you certainly can have poor quality and high quality PSUs that can achieve that level.

Soldato
All be it, in the case of a titanium level PSU the requirement of components to achieve that class probably do have a bearing. It would be very hard (if not impossible) to make a cheap/poor Titanium PSU. :)
Platinum level would also be very difficult to achieve with cheap parts.

That not to say the may be issues, like unforeseen design flaws, but not likely down to scrimping with cheap components.

At gold efficiency level you certainly can have poor quality and high quality PSUs that can achieve that level.

The EVGA G3 750W uses the same capacitors (Nippon Chemi-con) as the Titanium rated EVGA T2 850W. The only reason that the T2 passes 80+ Titanium is due to a relay which boosts efficiency. It is mentioned in the review below.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=462

If you look at the internals of the G3 it is a lot less populated.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=500

Soldato
Are you saying the EVGA G3 750 W is bad, I guess not as it's one of the best gold rated PSUs on the market?

My statement still stands, find a Titanium that uses cheap caps and you'll have a point. :)

Soldato
Are you saying the EVGA G3 750 W is bad, I guess not as it's one of the best gold rated PSUs on the market?

My statement still stands, find a Titanium that uses cheap caps and you'll have a point. :)

Nope not saying it is bad. I am pointing out that a good quality Gold unit (G3) can have the same quality internal components as a Titanium unit (T2).

The Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W has some Capxon caps on the modular board. Those are a step or two down from the likes of Chemi con and Rubycon. There are also some Teapo mixed in as well.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=339

My point still stands. A Titanium unit isn't worth paying extra for over a good quality Gold unit like the EVGA G3.

Soldato
My point still stands. A Titanium unit isn't worth paying extra for over a good quality Gold unit like the EVGA G3.

Ah well that ok, but you just needed to say that as it didn't contradict my point, that you're very unlikely to get a poor quality titanium PSU, it's just your opinion that they are not worth the extra money and that fair enough. :)

The Capxon caps are fine for the task, even the teapo aren't likely to cause a problem as they aren't going to be stressed and they aren't cheapo ones, but yes not top end.
The fact that OklahomaWolf still gave it a 9.4/10 rating pretty much tells you they aren't a problem.
Now if the primary caps were teapo that might be be an issue, but I suspect the PSU would struggle to hit titanium levels if it did.

Not being Japanese when the box state they should be is bad. I would guess this may have changed now given that unit is 4 years old.

Pretty much any DC to DC designed PSU should be hitting at least gold level and therefore you can get poor quality gold PSUs with cheap caps and other low quality parts that you shouldn't touch with a barge pole. :)
Therefore when buying a gold rated PSU you need do your homework and get what you pay for. (I would guess anyone buying a platinum or titanium PSU would have checked them out due to the insanely high prices.)

For extreme users, for example miners, the in vogue thing at the moment, a platinum or titanium PSU could work out cheaper in the long term at the 1KW or higher 24/7 usage.

Back
Top Bottom