To upgrade or not to upgrade-The return

Associate
So, having posted a similar thread in 2020 I stuck with my old system for another couple of years.
Now that things have presumably moved on a bit more...the question remains..is it time to upgrade?

I do gaming, video and audio recording and editing (Reaper, Cubase etc).

I currently have
i7 4770K OC bundle with
Z87X-OC-OF mobo (I believe it's E-ATX size?)
16Gb Ram DDR3
Noctua NDH14 cooler
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 SC
Phanteks Eclipse P600s case

Any suggestions?
I'd like to keep my existing GPU for now to limit cost.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For productivity apps, then a modern system like a 13600K would be a massive upgrade, but it does depend on where the bottleneck is and how well your software supports multi-threading (I don't know the answer to that).

Do you know what your RAM/SSD usage is like? Do you spend a lot of time waiting for things to complete?

A more affordable path would be to wait for the AMD non-X and Intel non-K CPUs and the mainstream B650 boards to get cheaper and B760 boards to appear. The 13400 is supposed to be a 12600K for 12400 money (with the 4 e-cores) and the 13700 non-K will be like a 12900 is now, with 8 e-cores.

The 5900X and 5950X are still pretty competitive too at the high-end, but I wouldn't buy them for gaming anymore and I'd rather be on AM5 now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As a whole I find it ok timewise, but I do start to wonder about the longevity of it and the parts.

I'm presuming I can reuse my case, psu, gfx card and ssds and hdds to save cost?

Could someone suggest a bundle of cpu/ram/mobo/cooler that would make a significant upgrade to my system? Would this be a smart move https://www.overclockers.co.uk/geno...-overclocked-atx-gaming-bundle-bu-0be-og.html and compatible with my case, psu etc?
Also, am I right in thinking that I won't have to repurchase Win10 as it is associated to my MS account?

i7 4770K overclocked bundle with
Z87X-OC-OF mobo (I believe it's E-ATX size?)
16Gb Ram DDR3
Noctua NDH14 cooler
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 SC
Phanteks Eclipse P600s case

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can use all the above listed parts and also keep your excellent cooler with a socket 1700 upgrade kit i have included in the builds

Intel ddr 5 + raptor lake

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £748.42 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Intel ddr 4 (much cheaper)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £660.46 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

AMD 5*** series ddr 4 (assuming you have the AM4 fittings for the nhd 14)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £724.46 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

AMD 7*** series ddr 5

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £935.47 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Obviously i have tried to stick to items in stock but its not always possible to do so. Also OC may not be the cheapest for some of the items especially the low cas ddr5 ram so you could score some bargains.
Your power supply might need an upgrade depending on if you upgrade your GPU or not.

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
Also a lot of the AMD 5 series and motherboards can be picked up second hand with all the people with too much money upgrading everything :D

Bargains to be had.

Man of Honour
As a whole I find it ok timewise, but I do start to wonder about the longevity of it and the parts.

I'm presuming I can reuse my case, psu, gfx card and ssds and hdds to save cost?

If the productivity performance is not a problem for you right now, then the above systems (while each a massive upgrade) are overkill. I'd recommend waiting until the i5-13400 (not -F) is released (for the 4 e-cores that the 12400 doesn't have) and the B760 boards (unless there's a suitable B660 with a new revision, or BIOS flashback).

Yep, you should be able to re-use everything.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks for the suggestions, dfour.

I have an irrational loyalty to Intel, so your first suggestion looks good to me!
How would that compare to the OC bundle I linked?
Would both your build and the oc bundle be "huge" improvements?

Man of Honour
How would that compare to the OC bundle I linked?

The 13400 might even be a 12600K (with a different name), so it should perform very similar. The only snag I can think of is that they might give it UHD 730 and cut a "codec engine" out of the IGP, which if you use QuickSync a lot I'm not sure is a good idea.

In gaming, the 12600K (6 P-cores, 4 E-cores) is very similar to the 12700K and in many apps (that are primarily single-threaded) it is a strong CPU, but it does lose out in e.g. rendering, because it has 2 less P-cores. Though, less so than the 12400, 12500 and 12600 (which have no E-cores at all).

The 13600K doesn't have this drawback because Intel gave it 8 P-cores, so it is now competitive in gaming and productivity with the 12700K (8 P-cores and 4 E-cores). (Review)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Would both your build and the oc bundle be "huge" improvements?

Yes, it is hard to find meaningful charts that go so far back, unfortunately.

To give you an idea (these numbers are from Passmark)

i7-4770K
Single thread: 2166
CPU Mark: 7134

i5-12600K
Single thread: 3982
CPU Mark: 27721

i5-12700K
Single thread: 4061
CPU Mark: 34649

i5-13600K
Single thread: 4047
CPU Mark: 37547

In simple terms, each P-core is about 30-40% faster than a 4th gen core.

With a 12600K, you have 6 P-cores.

Each E-core is supposed to be around 6th gen (5-10% faster than a 4th gen core).

With a 12600K, you have 4 E-cores.

You won't see that scale of difference everywhere, e.g. gaming tends to rely more on single-thread performance and the E-cores aren't much help there, but if you have an app that can actually use all the cores at full pelt, then the difference will be massive.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So, I'm pretty sold on either dfour's ddr5 bundle or the OCUK I7 12700k bundle.
2 questions:
What would be a decent upgrade to my EVGA geforce gtx 1080 oc for around £700ish max?
and assuming the GPU upgrade, would my Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W psu still cut it with either bundle?

Man of Honour
What would be a decent upgrade to my EVGA geforce gtx 1080 oc for around £700ish max?

I mentioned QuickSync earlier RE: CPUs (cos you mentioned video/audio editing and stuff), so I thought you might also like to know about this:

A new video engine

Ada GPUs advance streaming and video content by adding AV1 video encoding support to the Ada eighth-generation dedicated hardware encoder (NVENC). Ampere GPUs of previous generations supported AV1 decoding but not encoding. Ada's AV1 encoder is 40% more efficient than the GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs' H.264 encoder. AV1 will allow users who are already broadcasting at 1080p to boost their resolution to 1440p while maintaining the same bitrate and quality. For users with 1080p displays, streams will appear similar to 1440p, resulting in improved quality. Dual NVENC encoders are included on Ada GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs with at least 12 GB of memory to improve encoding performance. This supports video encoding at 8K/60 or four 4K/60 for professional video editing. (Game streaming services can also utilise this to enable more concurrent sessions, for example.) DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic Design, the Voukoder plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro, and Jianying, the leading video editing tool in China, all enable AV1 compatibility and a dual encoder via encode presets. In October, dual encoder and AV1 compatibility will be available for these applications. NVIDIA is also collaborating with the popular video effects application Notch to enable AV1 and with Topaz to offer support for AV1 and dual encoders. In addition to NVENC, Ada GPUs feature the fifth-generation hardware decoder, which was introduced with Ampere (known as NVDEC). NVDEC supports hardware-accelerated MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264 (AVCHD), H.265 (HEVC), VP8, VP9, and AV1 video decoding. 8K/60 decoding is also supported in full.

If it matters to you then might be a good idea to wait for the next RTX 4000 cards to release.

Associate
OP
If it matters to you then might be a good idea to wait for the next RTX 4000 cards to release.
It wouldn't matter that much. Although I do some video editing, it's mainly audio recording/processing and then gaming.
I'll re-phrase... What would be a decent upgrade to my EVGA geforce gtx 1080 oc for around £700ish from what is currently available?

Many thanks for your info. Interesting read.

Associate
if doing video editing etc, I'd stick to the 'k' variant rather than kf, even with a dedicated gpu.. the k variant has some codecs that work well with a dedicated gpu, that will be an improvement than just using a gpu with the kf..or so i watched on yt...technotice is a yt'er that does review with 'creatives' in mind and goes into it in more detail

Associate
well, as far as can make out, nvidia are better at the video encoders etc fro video editing... ideally, you'll want a 3080 if buying now. either look for a 2nd hand one as people upgrade to a 4000 series...if you don't want second hand, then a 3070tife at £550 (the 3080fe at £650 is permantly sold out) is available
in meantime, start posting on this forum, be it in the politics/cars/games etc..once you get to 1k posts, you get access to member market..do it anyway, you may be same boat a few years from now
how soon do you want it?

Back
Top Bottom