• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To upgrade or not?

Associate
Hi all,
Currently have a brand new 3700x just returned to me from an AMD RMA due to the memory controller issue.
Now do I sell this one and get myself a 5800x.
System runs 4 x 8gb Corsair 3600 Vengeance pro rgb kit, so my thoughts behind it are that the 5800x should be better at running the 4 sticks.
Seem to recall the 3 series had issues with more sticks.
Any thoughts.
Not quite sure that's the case.
Been running 4 sticks 8pack 3200 at 3600's spec since Ryzen 1 series (1600x) b350-f motherboard. The only time I ever had issue was with bugfield 5.
Later changed for the X570-f, and Ryzen 3600x, no issues, ever. Swapped for the 3900x, no issues.
The 5800x would give you better performance, not questioning that, but I don't think your 3700x is bottlenecking your system. Unless you're aiming at even higher frames than your 3700x can offer, but them again, very specific use.
Not sure how much you could get for the 3700x,but likely to cost you 150-200 pounds for the upgrade. Not sure it's worthy, at least now.
The 5 series are a more appealing upgrade for 1 and 2 series, or someone at those very specific uses. Or just upgrade for the sake of it.
200 pounds on top of the budget for a GPU would allow better value, if the focus is gaming, but not at the moment. A jump from xx60 to xx70 or xx70 to xx80 is shockingly bigger than that, due to shortages.

Associate
OP
GPUs are a killer atm.
The price hikes are shocking not to mention availability. 3700x is back in.
Its better than it was before but still having ongoing issues with failing to post.
For the most part it's saying CPU or memory changed.

Back
Top Bottom