Toasted Pikelets

Soldato
I decided to try pikelets instead of my usual crumpets. They're exactly the same except thin like perforated scotch pancakes.

Six in a pack for 85p, Tesco's own. And for a pack of six Tesco's own crumpets, 50p. So you get about half as much dough for 35p more. Am I missing something here? I will admit I enjoyed eating these in flat pancake shape with butter, cheese tomato and mayonnaise a bit more than thick crumpets. Have I just answered my own question? I feel less full though and I finished the pack in one sitting, whereas with crumpets I'd only eat two at a time.

Soldato
Possibly economies of scale as I imagine more people buy crumpets and thus Tesco can buy/produce more stock at a better price.

https://www.villagebakery.co.uk/blog/bakery-blog/pikelet-vs-crumpet-whats-the-difference/
According to this link they are virtually the same except crumpet is baked in a ring, and a pikelet is not.

I've never heard of them before!
Seems odd to have them savory with cheese and tomato though, I'd never do that with a crumpet. :D

Soldato
Crumpets with salami, cheese and jalepenos stuck under a grill is godly. You're missing out :p
Deary me I need to give this ago, sounds delicious.

I've only ever put Marmite, peanut butter, Nutella, or peanut butter and Nutella (Very indulgent but really good) on crumpets.

If I get pikelets I just go for butter and Marmite however I do prefer a crumpet.

Soldato
indeed - made a mental note yesterday to try these below
Category champion: Iceland Luxury Sourdough Crumpets
Supplier: not disclosed

“Light and airy in texture” with a “crisp base” and “plenty of flavour” were just some of the comments about these premium Iceland crumpets, which impressed all round. Our judges praised their “good presentation” and “good use of ingredients”, all at a price of £1 for six. Some 85% of consumer testers said they’d buy these crumpets again after tasting.

Soldato
Staffordshire pikelets (from an oatcake shop). Loaded with sultanas, about the size of a side plate and about 1cm thick. Lovely but even better toasted with butter and Marmite.

Back
Top Bottom