Today I drove...

Soldato
wohoo said:
Did they sell many of the EK9's in the UK? you dont see many around,my mates just chopped his DC2 in for a EK9, the EK9 has cost him 6.5k :eek: doesnt really do it for me buy hey its Vtec YO :p

Mine was £7800:o

Type-Rx though with all the extras, on a W plate.

Soldato
IPBA said:
Honda Civic FD2 (Japan Model)
ctr1.jpg

I want. NOW.

Soldato
He got a bargain then for 6.5k, is it a high miler?

EK9 is quite a bit less torquey than the Teg, they both go round corners like go-carts, I have sooo much fun in mine:D

With the EK9 you get A/C and folding wing mirrors but you do with the JDM Teg. Part of the EK9's attraction is it's rarity, it's not worth the extra ££ over the Teg, though it is a better looking car IMO (mine and my bro's).

Last edited:
Associate
Having owned one for 3 months now [5k miles], I am happy to report my initial similar thoughts of a generally harsh and unsettling ride have since become a distant memory.

I drive 50 miles to work and back every day [90% motorway] and on Fridays I usually take the b-roads home when I generally finish middday. For me this is easily the most entertaining car I have owned to date, and never fails to disappoint.

I also have a minor lower back problem which has never been disturbed nor agitated by the Type R anywhere near as much as previous cars I've owned/driven.

I don't drive like a lunatic but I do get the odd opportunity to evaluate my car against other cars in its class and above, and to date I have never felt anything but equal to any of the challenges within the realms of common sense and road conditions at the time.

I can empathise and understand why a lot of people overlook the car due to its looks and non threatening power and torque figures, but I would definately not dismiss it from your test drive list if you are looking at any of its rivals, it may appeal less to the younger diehard type-r fans out there, but it is aimed squarely at the golf gti and focus st market, and definately merits a decent look.

Interior and exterior wise, the design will be a marmite affair and if you cant stomach something that is visually and ergonomically different from the crowd, you may just overlook it for those reasons alone, fair enough some people are like that, but for me it's a welcome change from the rest of the market and hats off to Honda[Europe] for being different :)

Permabanned
Stephen B said:
Interior and exterior wise, the design will be a marmite affair and if you cant stomach something that is visually and ergonomically different from the crowd, you may just overlook it for those reasons alone, fair enough some people are like that, but for me it's a welcome change from the rest of the market and hats off to Honda[Europe] for being different :)

Its different but not in a good way imo, the rear view is poor, i found the steering wheel would obscure the rev counter and the speedo in the position i would feel comfortable with.

I still think it looks like daewoo lanos :p seriously tho, the front looks ok, but the rear and side profile are just wrong.

Man of Honour
This car caught my interest but that soon dwindled when my Honda dealer refused a test drive as I wasn't 25, claiming that I wouldn't be covered by insurance. Liars.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Does yours rattle?

Not now no, there was a rattle like a lost biro behind my dash at around 1k, but has since completely disappeared [touch wood]

There is a common issue with the rear hatch rubbers not set correctly which causes the rattle from the rear bootspace, the one in the dash is most likely a broken plastic tag for the securing screw [dash out to repair ], and the most annoying rattle is when your passenger doesn't put the seat belt back in its proper position and it rattles on the seat tilt handle when unoccupied :)

Bear in mind this particular model only appeared end of March so a lot can be put down to early teething problems like any car, and will no doubt be acted upon during assembly stage at the manufacturers discretion

Just posting for a bit of balance and long term info, no car I've owned has been perfect, and there has been a definate u-turn from some car magazines lately over the "softer & not powerful enough" type -r in recent weeks.

Like yourself, I initially felt the car might not be for me [at my age 43 and the typical journey I do to work] due to the suspension, but time has definately proven otherwise.

The strong residuals and current waiting lists on this model would allow me to change it for another car without commiting financial suicide, if it were indeed too uncompromising or uncomfortable.

Associate
wohoo said:
Its different but not in a good way imo, the rear view is poor, i found the steering wheel would obscure the rev counter and the speedo in the position i would feel comfortable with.

I still think it looks like daewoo lanos :p seriously tho, the front looks ok, but the rear and side profile are just wrong.

The rear view issue is a bit of a dichotomy, yes it can be obtrusive when driving or reversing, but a good driver should also have a good general awareness of his car dynamics and traffic behind him, it is however very useful when some numpty drives up your ***e with main beam on as the spoiler is very effective in blocking the glare [a sad reflection of the mentality of fellow drivers who want to intimidate by using their proximity]

Arguably the two-tier dash can be problematic if you do not fall into a particular skeletal structure, luckily at just under 6ft and of general human genetic proportions I have little problem adjusting my seat position to a comfortable one while still being able to read the instruments, I do however find the VTEC gear change up lights a bit useless as I find myself paying more attention to the rev counter and the road ahead to be bothered focusing on 3 pairs of tiny led's :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The driving position was very comfortable - indeed as I said the only thing which prevented it being a really good cruiser was the ride which, I will concede, was less of an issue in a smooth dual carriageway.

Like most decent cars these days there was absolutely nothing fundamentally bad about it - except the rattle issue. Good to hear yours cleared up, though.

Soldato
Scuzi said:
This car caught my interest but that soon dwindled when my Honda dealer refused a test drive as I wasn't 25, claiming that I wouldn't be covered by insurance. Liars.

what a bunch of crap they said

i got to test drive the 2.2 diesel and i was 19 at the time.

Wierd

Permabanned
Stephen B said:
The rear view issue is a bit of a dichotomy, yes it can be obtrusive when driving or reversing, but a good driver should also have a good general awareness of his car dynamics and traffic behind him, it is however very useful when some numpty drives up your ***e with main beam on as the spoiler is very effective in blocking the glare [a sad reflection of the mentality of fellow drivers who want to intimidate by using their proximity]

Arguably the two-tier dash can be problematic if you do not fall into a particular skeletal structure, luckily at just under 6ft and of general human genetic proportions I have little problem adjusting my seat position to a comfortable one while still being able to read the instruments, I do however find the VTEC gear change up lights a bit useless as I find myself paying more attention to the rev counter and the road ahead to be bothered focusing on 3 pairs of tiny led's :)

Im only 5'7", but i like my wheel quite low, which is why i was getting the obscuring issue,its just a minor annoyance which would really annoy me over 3 years.

The rear view was a real PITA for me, i dont care how good a driver you are, it helps if you can see out the bloomin back clearly :p

Its still one of the top 3 hot hatches around, and thats no mean feat considering the competition.

Soldato
OT - mini review: Test drove a VRS 170 (diesel) the other day and loved it. It pulled effortlessly in every gear with second gear feeling nearly as quick as my 220 turbo. Couldn't seem to get comfortable in the seat no matter which way I adjusted it. I normally sit angled back slightly but had to sit more or less bolt upright in this. Standard sound system seemed fairly good quality with MP3 capability. Child seat went in the back very snugly and it generally felt well put together :)

Soldato
Scuzi said:

wtf, when i test drove the civic i was probably 18, or if not just turned 19? I just turned up and said i wanted to drive it lol

Back
Top Bottom