Tomahawk B450 w/ 3900x

Associate
I guess that for the majority of users who will use this combo mostly for gaming (probably only using 4 threads simultaneously) that a B450 mobo will be fine as it wont be using all 24 threads for 100% of the time. Only those people using it for video editing and conversion (for youtube) like using handbrake (which uses all the threads that are available) will need to concern themselves about the vrm's overheating.

Soldato
I guess that for the majority of users who will use this combo mostly for gaming (probably only using 4 threads simultaneously) that a B450 mobo will be fine as it wont be using all 24 threads for 100% of the time. Only those people using it for video editing and conversion (for youtube) like using handbrake (which uses all the threads that are available) will need to concern themselves about the vrm's overheating.
I used mine purely as a video encoding machine, constantly maxing out all threads and the VRM temps were perfectly fine and this was in a case with just two 120mm in take fans nowhere near the VRM's.

Associate
I used mine purely as a video encoding machine, constantly maxing out all threads and the VRM temps were perfectly fine and this was in a case with just two 120mm in take fans nowhere near the VRM's.
about 3yrs ago I got my daughter a overclocked ryzen 1700 (all cores running at 3.9ghz) and 32gb RAM and a asus prime pro x370 as she was playing many games, starting a uni course (computer games modelling and animation) and she was making youtube videos (like using handbrakes for hours at a time to make sure that it was 1080 and 60 fps all the way through - or else it lost sound etc). It was the making of the youtube videos that the Ryzen 1700 was really useful for.

Now you would expect her course to be make advanced using more demanding software but that is not the case. She is using unreal engine, adobe substance painter and (something else that I cant quite remember - will change when I do). That software renders in real time and hardly seems to use any resources (apart from large files and hence much storage). She now has stopped making youtubes and yet wants her pc upgrading to make it more snappy (like she doesn't need to wait more than 2 seconds for it do anything now, even multitasking on two monitors like playing a game, which youtubes, doing rendering work on substance painter, doing a download etc all at the same time)!

her x370 mobo is rated (as quoted by asus) to support the 16 core 3950x - so even old x boards can be OK.

Back
Top Bottom