Toms hardware Intel Processor. what mobo for slr?

Associate
OP
im not the best at overclocking nope :( but i have tried most things i think and all my mates at uni who have clocked theres seem'd pretty stumpted.

if someone could show me a step by step thats "english" then that'd be greatly apreciated.

* also a list of settings to turn off on my mobo would be useful also like cool n quiet i know of but what else can effect the overclockability?

Associate
OP
sorry i know that last post of me was probobly ignored for my lack of overclocking knowladge and use not to look around but i have read a fair amount of reviews and tutorials but i just need someone with a list of things i should turn off / turn on my board to be able to clock better and safter. like whats the max voltage i should push to each bit and does encarta94 do anything or w/e it is. just random things i dont understand in the bios

Soldato
Ok - let's start with what kit you actually have to overclock.

There is someone with pretty much every combination of CPU and motherboard on here, so you tell us what you've got and we can try and tell you how to set it up.

In your original post you hadn't bought anything yet, so the advice all got a bit out of hand...

Soldato
WJA96 said:
True - but you could level that charge at every AMD machine and no-one complains about them being slow
You could 'level that charge'. But no-one would complain about them being slow becase they'd know you were talking coblers! ;) :p
Only the s754 A64's use single channel memory.
All the s939's use dual channel where two or more memory sticks are present.

Associate
OP
Thanks here is my current spec

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D PCI-E (Socket 939) Motherboard
Pioneer DVR-109 16x X 16x DVD ±R/±RW Dual Layer Black - OEM
Creative® Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - Retail
nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI VIVO (PCI-E) - Retail
Enermax Noisetaker 485W EG495AX-VE(W) PSU 58.80
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm 1MB L2 (939 Pin) - Retail
with a 4400 duel core fan
Maxtor DiamondMax +10 NCQ 7200RPM SATA/150 250GB 16MB Cache
Patriot Dual Channel 2GB PC3200 DDR (2x1024MB) Low Latency Kit
Maxtor DiamondMax +10 NCQ 7200RPM SATA/150 300GB 16MB Cache

and a western digital 30gb raptor running my windows and games

Soldato
BoomAM said:
You could 'level that charge'. But no-one would complain about them being slow becase they'd know you were talking coblers! ;) :p
Only the s754 A64's use single channel memory.
All the s939's use dual channel where two or more memory sticks are present.

Yes, but even they are running DDR, not DDR2. Off to make some more shoes....

Soldato
alexx said:
Thanks here is my current spec

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D PCI-E (Socket 939) Motherboard
Pioneer DVR-109 16x X 16x DVD ±R/±RW Dual Layer Black - OEM
Creative® Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - Retail
nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI VIVO (PCI-E) - Retail
Enermax Noisetaker 485W EG495AX-VE(W) PSU 58.80
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm 1MB L2 (939 Pin) - Retail
with a 4400 duel core fan
Maxtor DiamondMax +10 NCQ 7200RPM SATA/150 250GB 16MB Cache
Patriot Dual Channel 2GB PC3200 DDR (2x1024MB) Low Latency Kit
Maxtor DiamondMax +10 NCQ 7200RPM SATA/150 300GB 16MB Cache

and a western digital 30gb raptor running my windows and games

Why on earth do you want to swap that for an 805? That is a decently fast system. Read the sticky on memory tuning as that will give really good results with your RAM. Then read the sticky about overclocking. Then ask specific questions and you will get answers.

Associate
So am I right in waiting until June 4th (Assuming Overclockers lower the price of there chips too) and instead of buying an 805 buying a 930 or 940?

Will I still be able to OC a 930 or 940 to 3.8Ghz w/ an Artic Freezer Pro 7?

And I am a gamer so if these 930s go under £100 like they say, and saying they do overclock to 3.8Ghz will they be any good for games? Im currently on skt754 3000+ (Newcastle)!

Last edited:
Soldato
WJA96 said:
Yes, but even they are running DDR, not DDR2. Off to make some more shoes....
The 'spec' of the DDR has nothing to do with it running in DC mode or not. So dont try that one.
If you want to get pedantic, DDR2 has yet to show any performance increase over DDR, with its high latences being a culprit for that.

Soldato
UKTopGun said:
And I am a gamer so if these 930s go under £100 like they say, and saying they do overclock to 3.8Ghz will they be any good for games? Im currently on skt754 3000+ (Newcastle)!
Arguably, your better off sticking with what you've got until you can save for a complete over hall. IMO of course. :)

The Intel930 isnt guaranteed to OC that far, and even when its been OCed that far, still isnt gonna be significantely faster than what you've got, in games.
The s754 A64s arnt really suffering for bandwidth like what'll soon be claimed on here either. So IMO, stick with what you've got, or have a bash at OCing that.
Save for a new AM2 or Conroe setup later this year tbh. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
BoomAM said:
The 'spec' of the DDR has nothing to do with it running in DC mode or not. So dont try that one.
If you want to get pedantic, DDR2 has yet to show any performance increase over DDR, with its high latences being a culprit for that.

The original comment said that a particular DDR2 motherboard was memory bandwidth limited as it would only run in single channel mode. DDR2 runs twice as fast as DDR but it only offers any benefits at huge FSBs (1066 and beyond). My point was exactly the same as yours - despite not running DDR2 the AMD systems were not bandwidth limited. You seem to have latchged onto some esoteric point about S754 motherboards and decided you want to show off.

And why so agressive? Your sig speaks volumes. You are aware that Dr. Cox has penis issues aren't you? That's why he's called Dr. Cox.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
The original comment said that a particular DDR2 motherboard was memory bandwidth limited as it would only run in single channel mode. DDR2 runs twice as fast as DDR but it only offers any benefits at huge FSBs (1066 and beyond). My point was exactly the same as yours - despite not running DDR2 the AMD systems were not bandwidth limited. You seem to have latchged onto some esoteric point about S754 motherboards and decided you want to show off.
Showing off isnt something that i feel a need to do. Theres a difference between stating facts and showing off. Learn to differentiate. :o
The fact that your posts were constructed in a way that implys that all A64s are single channels and that DDR2 is better than DDR makes it particularly easy to pick apart flaws in the post/s. If you want to respin them, then go ahead. But ive said my part, and my comments arnt open for debate, as ive stated facts.

And why so agressive? Your sig speaks volumes. You are aware that Dr. Cox has penis issues aren't you? That's why he's called Dr. Cox.
Care to explain why a quote from a TV show should have any bearing on this debate?
Or is it you who is now trying to 'show off'? by attempting to show incorrect knowledge on a TV show in some sly attempt to insult me. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you could cebrtainly criticise the original post for being 'loose'. I think I've explained/clarified what I wated to get across in the subsequent post. As for trying to spin my way out of anything, I don't do it. If I'm wrong or I've messed up, I own up. Life's simpler that way. As I said - I was unaware that S754 were all single channel, so I've learned something. As far as I know, there are no DDR2 S939 boards out there and no-one complains about memory bandwidth. In every other benchmark on the quoted test, the £33 motherboard was up there with the best of them. That is the point. If you want a cheap motherboard to overclock a cheap processor with some cheap RAM, it's a decent choice in my opinion. Lots of other people disagree and I respect that.

BoomAM said:
Care to explain why a quote from a TV show should have any bearing on this debate?
Or is it you who is now trying to 'show off'? by attempting to show incorrect knowledge on a TV show in some sly attempt to insult me. ;)

You obviously like the quote enough to use it as your representation online. It does seem to suit you. And you apparently empathise with the character as your writing style is very much the way that Cox speaks. Why is my knowledge incorrect? - I have a member of my extended family (Denise Karey) who works off and on as a script supervisor on that and he was supposed to be worried about the size of his genitals. They're all walking, talking distorted medical conditions in one way or another. You are not meant to empathise with any of them. They are all fairly horrid.

And there was nothing sly or attempted about it. You come across as quite tightly wound. Read your posts and think about what you said. They are both very aggressive towards me in a way that suggests you obviously think you are somehow superior. I don't know if you are or not, I just think you need to be more pleasant in your writing style.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
WJA96 said:
Why on earth do you want to swap that for an 805? That is a decently fast system. Read the sticky on memory tuning as that will give really good results with your RAM. Then read the sticky about overclocking. Then ask specific questions and you will get answers.

i cant see it can you link me please

do you think this is why its been so hard to overclock so far because i didnt tune my memory?

Soldato
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138583&page=7&pp=30

About half-way down is a post by DanF that describes how to set up the memory, then the CPU, then combine the two for optimal speed. If you start there and read on it just gets more and more in-depth.

As for why you're finding it so hard to overclock, I honestly don't know. I do Intel chips only, but I think that the AMD A64's are heavily dependent on the RAM timings for good speed, but I don't see how that should stop you increasing the FSB unless you've not learned how to drop the multiplier. Read the stickies and hopefully it should start to make sense.

The one thing I am certain of, is that you already have a system that will equal or better the performance of an 805, or an unclocked 9xx series Intel chip, so I would hang onto it until Conroe proves itself (or not).

Soldato
Im gonna let the other bit pass as im just lovin this bit. :p
WJA96 said:
You obviously like the quote enough to use it as your representation online. It does seem to suit you. And you apparently empathise with the character as your writing style is very much the way that Cox speaks.
That is pure genius.
In fact, i like that so much that im gonna change my sig to say 'WJA96 thinks i type as DrCox speaks'. Or something along those lines.
Im sad i know. But im a big Scrubs fan.
I'll make the change over the weekend if i remember. :p

And there was nothing sly or attempted about it. You come across as quite tightly wound.
I am lately. Various reasons. Dont take it personally.

They are both very aggressive towards me in a way that suggests you obviously think you are somehow superior. I don't know if you are or not, I just think you need to be more pleasant in your writing style.
I probably do seem agressive. But agressiveness is subjective for a start.
My posting style has been known to annoy people in the past, but ive not worryied about it, and neither should you. Its just text at the end of the day. :)
As for 'superiority', i dont think that towards, nor would i expect other to, think that. Superiority is both a state of mind and subjective imo.
One person can be 'superior' in one way, but severely lacking in another. Everyone has something that they are good at, and something they are bad at.

Back on topic.
FYI.
(If you know any of this, fine, if not, its done no harm and will no doubt help someone :)).
s754 A64s are single channel because at the time, DC memory didnt bring much of a performance increase, and s754 didnt support enough pins to make DC possible.
DDR2 s939 isnt possible because the memory controller for A64's, and hence memory support, is built onto the CPU, not the mobo like Intel, only the new A64s, the AM2 versions, have DDR2 support.
DDR2 for AMD is both an advantage and disadvantage imo. The onchip memory controller means that bandwidth isnt a problem for AMD, but latency is.
The onchip memory controller +low latency DDR ment that AMD had very low latences on their chips and didnt struggle for bandwidth like Intel.
With their move to DDR2 however, its entirely possible that the AM2s could become at a disadvantage compared to the DDR varients for a while until DDR2 chips with low latences are released.
:)

Back
Top Bottom