TomTom Go 300 - Bargain Price @ OcUK

Associate
Do the newer TomTom 3/5/700's use full postcode searches? I borrow a mates older TomTom Go 'Classic' from time to time but it only uses the first 4 digits of the post code ie ST1 5 which can be a pain in the _______

Soldato
jonarob said:
Interesting question!

Also, is the 300 better than the ONE?

From what I've heard its about the same!... but considdering the cheapest ONE I've seen was £225 inclVAT (+P&P) and this is £222 inclVAT (+P&P), If I hadn't just bought a GO500 for £275 (All-in), I'd pick the 300 over the ONE, if only to save £3 (yep I'm a tight git!! :D )

Soldato
That does look a good price, I just need to find an extra few quid down the back of the sofa though, then I'll be there, not a bad offer though ;)

Soldato
The 300 has a better speaker and can be turned out louder without distorting. Other than that the One has a better GPS chipset meaning it can stay locked under surprisingly bad conditions i.e. tree cover etc. My wifes TT One even manages top get a lock on 3 satellites indoors!

Soldato
The ONE is much better then the 300..

1. The GPS Chipset is the latest Sirf III, this locks extremely quickly, is much more accurate in marginal reception areas and will lock even through a athermic windscreen..
2. The Processor is much faster, the 3D display fluidity is excellent, as is route calculation and re-routing..
3. The ONE has the same screen size, but has a smaller form factor, it is just about pocketable..

As for speaker clarity, the ONE is extremely good anyway, in an old diesel Veccie, cruising at 90, it is extremely loud and clear.. I've never heard of a single ONE owner saying the speaker is not loud or clear enough.

The Battery does not last as long as the GO300, this is because the unit is just about pocketable, unlike the GO.. but it comes with a car charger, and lasts for 2-4 hours which is long enough for most journeys should you forget the charger...

Since it is the same price as the ONE, unless you absolutely need the slightly longer, but still not stellar battery life, you'd be mad not to get the ONE..

Soldato
St0n3y said:
Do the newer TomTom 3/5/700's use full postcode searches? I borrow a mates older TomTom Go 'Classic' from time to time but it only uses the first 4 digits of the post code ie ST1 5 which can be a pain in the _______

The Postcode feature is part of the maps. Update the map to the latest one and you should get full postcodes on any tomtom go.

Associate
Demon said:
The ONE is much better then the 300..

1. The GPS Chipset is the latest Sirf III, this locks extremely quickly, is much more accurate in marginal reception areas and will lock even through a athermic windscreen..
2. The Processor is much faster, the 3D display fluidity is excellent, as is route calculation and re-routing..
3. The ONE has the same screen size, but has a smaller form factor, it is just about pocketable..

As for speaker clarity, the ONE is extremely good anyway, in an old diesel Veccie, cruising at 90, it is extremely loud and clear.. I've never heard of a single ONE owner saying the speaker is not loud or clear enough.

The Battery does not last as long as the GO300, this is because the unit is just about pocketable, unlike the GO.. but it comes with a car charger, and lasts for 2-4 hours which is long enough for most journeys should you forget the charger...

Since it is the same price as the ONE, unless you absolutely need the slightly longer, but still not stellar battery life, you'd be mad not to get the ONE..

Come on OCUK - I'm buying a TomTom next week! Get the ONE in :)

Soldato
Demon said:
T

It's fine in my wifes car, but when I bought it I found a couple of reviews that said the lack of volume could be a problem in older noisier cars. Not tried it in mine yet, but my Dell Axim with TT Nav is pathetic in that respect, have to turn stereo off and have windows up to hear it.

Soldato
Never really had a need for sat nav (I'm quite happy to check multimap before setting off then rely on memory and a decent sense of direction to get where I'm going) but vix has been hinting that she'd like one so bought one of these. Got it today and just had a quick go with it. To be honest I'm not particualrly impressed.

Had to do the following journey:

Home to a couriers in Norwich
From there to a car park in the city centre.
Then onto Halfords
Then home again.

Put the postcode in for the couriers and headed off. Did most of this leg without any bother but when I got there it informed me that "I had reached my destination" whilst I was still sitting in the middle of the road waiting to turn right onto the industrial estate where the couriers is located - if I put the same postcode into multimap it'll centre on the couriers exact location. Given that the main use of Sat Nav is for the 'last mile' navigation this wasn't a very good start.

Then I found the car park I wanted in the POI and set off. Again, got there OK with no fuss.

Next leg of the journey is where it all went wrong. First of all it told me to keep right down a one way street, at the junction at the bottom it wanted me to go straight on - one problem, the right hand lane is right turn only. Turned right and before long it tried to take me down a bus lane. Ignored it again and carried on the right way. Then it made a right hash of another junction, telling me to keep right when I should be in the middle of three lanes. Finally it reied to take me down a pedestrianised street.

On the way home it did OK again although it was a pretty easy route on main roads. (Although there's a big new roundabout that isn't on the maps at all)

Seems to me that it's good at doing the easy navigation that you don't really need it for but is woefully inadequate in the kind of situations where you need it most. Are the maps generally this bad nationwide? If it's this dodgy on roads that I do know I'm not sure if I'll be able to put my faith in it on roads that I don't.

Associate
today is the day im going to get a tomtom but cant make up my mind go300 or tomtom one, im not going to be doing much traveling 300 looks a lot nicer than the 1 i just cant make up my mind help! before the t1 has anyone ever thought that the 300 could be better at finding places?

ive read the difference between them i really think the 300 looks a lot better in looks.. but after a while will i wish i bought the tom1 if i bought the 300

Associate
TomTom 300 is very good I had one for a while, the only issue is it is a bit large and gets a pain after a while.

It also kept dropping the signal in Birmingham city centre which was a mare, however the focus does have a heated screen and their are tall buildings each side too.

Yet to try the bluetooth gps unit there.

But very easy to use, there's a site that lets you mod the menus which is class as I always found the stuff I needed was 2 pages in.

Run a phone one now but half looking at the one or new range as I miss the screen and lound speaker.

Back
Top Bottom