Toned/Ripped

Soldato
My mission as of the start of June is to get as much definition out of my body as I can and I would like some tips.

I've been training for years and am happy with my size, (6ft1 > 15 stone) however I would not say I have the beach body look that I would like, ripped abs etc.
As I see it getting toned isn't about doing high reps etc, as I can't imagine that muscles change shape to be more defined, I have the assumption this is an extreme diet thing and just shed as much fat off as I can so you can see the muscles better.

Do I need to change my routine in the gym for this or should I just keep heavy lifting with addition cardio?
Anyone got a strict regime that works? Chicken>veg>chicken>veg>water? :D
I guess what I am asking is how to balance carbs so that I don't start burning off either the protein I'm eating or the muscle I have, whilst also burning the fat I already have and whats the best way to burn off it by working out.

Some info on a good place to start would be appreciate before I wade through the hundreds of click bait pages on the internet ultimately ending up with about 50 different ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Find TDEE go 200 calories under, if you have lost too much or too little after two weeks then adjust. Cardio will help but watch out for your appetite afterwards it's rather easy to eat too much after going hard.

Soldato
I tend to drop around 400 Calories wait 4 weeks drop again then again after another 4 weeks if needed.

I lower my carbs by a significant amount but not too low otherwise you'll have no energy

I still do the same lifting routine and just add some extra cardio

Got to 10% bodyfat doing this last summer so it works for me!

Soldato
OP
So a calorie deficit is the key. I may start a forum log so that I have a reason to stick to it.
Anyone ever tried this struggled with refinined sugar addiction. I think, I'm going to struggle hard to give u the suagr in tea or chocolate bars, cola etc.

Soldato
So a calorie deficit is the key. I may start a forum log so that I have a reason to stick to it.
Anyone ever tried this struggled with refinined sugar addiction. I think, I'm going to struggle hard to give u the suagr in tea or chocolate bars, cola etc.

Sugar is not addictive

Good evidence-based read. Highly palatable, highly rewarding foods can override our natural appetite signaling mechanisms, and pleasure/reward can share some of the same brain pathways as addiction. Thus, highly palatable, highly rewarding food can have some addictive-like qualities, and can be very tempting and easy to overeat, but they aren't truly addictive in a clinical sense. Sugar is a component of food that can enhance its palatability and reward value, which increases the likelihood of us overeating a food that contains it. But... this doesn't mean sugar is addicting.

You can still include some of these foods in your dieting phases if calories are accounted for and only make up a minority of your daily/weekly intake, as eating certain foods because you enjoy them is perfectly okay as long as you understand how they fit in the context of your overall diet.

Soldato
OP
No I appreciate that, not in the sense I am going to get the shakes but I can attest to being very irritable and constantly claming for something sugary.

Soldato
Yeah definitely. When i'm cutting i tend to do 5 on 2 off. So during the week i'm very strict and have very low sugar intake and on weekends I stuff my face with whatever I want. I found this works better for me as when i tried just solidly cutting i got serious sugar cravings. Knowing you can eat all the treats you want at the weekend makes it much easier.

Soldato

Kerb your processed/refined food intake on your current maintenance calorie intake before beginning a deficit phase. You will naturally crave these more during this period.

As above, sugar isn't addictive and to be successful you will want to prove to yourself you can survive on less 'fun' food. That said nothing should be off limits during a deficit so you remain sane but you need to exercise moderation and remain accountable for your energy intake.

Count calories, pay attention to your macros and be more active. Play the numbers game and it's a walk in the park.

Soldato
Count calories, pay attention to your macros and be more active. Play the numbers game and it's a walk in the park.

THIS^^.

Calorie deficit is the absolute key. If you aren't already using something like MFP to track your deficit and macro's then start using it. I've lost 1st 4lbs since May with watching my calorie intake, maintaining the deficit and doing cardio 4-5 times a week. And by that I mean cardio that burns lots of calories - either rowing on a Concept II or cycling both indoors on a stationary bike or commuting to work which is a 27 mile round trip at an average speed of 17 mph. I'm now at the stage where I have manage to unearth my abs and have a decent toned look. Next stage now I'm at my ideal weight is to move the training slant away slightly from cardio and towards strength training and start packing on additional muscle. Chuffed with my progress so far, read lots of different weight loss/toning stuff on teh intraweb but it's essentially very easy - calorie deficit........that's it. Nothing more, nothing fancy. :cool:

Oh......and I'm 46. It's never to late to start training hard. :D

Soldato
It'll take a bit of getting used to if you're cutting but it's a necessary evil.

If you're happy with your size at 15 stone you need to realise that when you start to lose the weight to see more definition you will look smaller.

Took me a while to get over that when I went from 15 stones to about 14 but when you start eating more again one you've reached your goal you do bulk up again fairly quickly. Now I weigh about 14 and a quarter and don't think I look smaller than I did when I started but the gut has disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom