• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Too hot!

Associate
Hey guys, got an E6400 at 2.8Ghz atm (hoping to get 3.2Ghz) all on stock volts with an Artic Freezer 7 pro. When it was @ stock it ran at 45c idle and now its running at 50c idle.

Any ideas why? I tried putting some thermal grease on from my VF-900 I bought. I have an Akasa eclipse 62 with 2 Akasa ambers 120mm (well acctually the one right behind the CPU isnt connected atm as not enough cables). I basically one amber in the bottom bay blowing on the HD's and the one which is yet to be connected is going to exhaust air out of the case, will this make much difference one I get some cables or if it won't what should I do?

Cheers.

Associate
The exhaust fan makes the most difference IMO get it connected ASAP.

Also make sure your cooler is seated perfectly flat on top of your CPU, it is quite easy have an uneven seat especially when back plates are involved.

I use Arctic Silver Ceramique and you should be getting idle temps at stock of around 30c, and 40c under load with intel's stock cooler just to give you something to work too.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you saying your case exhaust fan isn't running? If that is correct, then 45 C idle doesn't surprise me. With all but the lowest powered systems, the PSU fan alone is not enough to stop hot air building up and being recirculated back through your CPU heatsink.

I suggest connecting your rear exhaust fan, seating the heatsink with whatever thermal material came with the Freezer 7 pro, or some Arctic Silver 5 if you have none left, and seeing what temps you get then. If you dont' have enough cables, you can buy extensions, and 3-pin/molex converters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom