Too Long Didn't Read

Soldato
The only difference is I know people on Facebook.

that’s the main difference tho :)
I’ve never seen a picture of someone’s dinner on ocuk but can’t miss it on Facebook when you scroll through, or someone posting a picture of a pint and a bag of fancy crisps with the football on in the background claiming it’s a ‘great might in’ and you ‘can’t beat it’, made even worse because you know this person :D

Caporegime
that’s the main difference tho :)
I’ve never seen a picture of someone’s dinner on ocuk but can’t miss it on Facebook when you scroll through, or someone posting a picture of a pint and a bag of fancy crisps with the football on in the background claiming it’s a ‘great might in’ and you ‘can’t beat it’, made even worse because you know this person :D

The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
if someone wants me to read through 2 pages of their problems then they can at least use proper sentences and paragraphs.

if they don't then of course they can expect a bunch of tl:dr comments.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The problem with any sort of discussion that is actually meaninful or nuanced is that it requires more than a single line. If you write a single line people will just jump on it and somehow extrapolate a massive amount of information from your 7 words that paint you in whatever light they see fit.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Forums were made for "reams of text". There is no discussion worth having in less than 150 words. Anything less is barely grunting at each other and that's what sewers of internet like Tw*tter or Farcebook are for. I would argue my point further but none of you read this far you illiterate barbarians.

Associate
I've also found I can't read books anymore. It used to be a real pleasure but I simply can't sit there now.

Same, I've got into audio books, they really help me while programming.

Stick a flag in it, by Arran Lomas aka thoughty2 from YT. That's what I'm listening to at the moment, he's the narrator too.

Soldato
Forums were made for "reams of text". There is no discussion worth having in less than 150 words. Anything less is barely grunting at each other and that's what sewers of internet like Tw*tter or Farcebook are for. I would argue my point further but none of you read this far you illiterate barbarians.

Can we have the tl:dr version?

Or the one with paragraphs at least.....

Man of Honour
Anyone else struggle to read long forum posts these days?

I blame the use of social media. :)

My definition of "long" in this context is clearly different to that of many people. I don't regard a few lines of text as a long piece of text, but it seems that many people do. Maybe it's just because I still read and many people don't nowadays. If someone isn't used to reading more than a few words at a time, anything more will be more likely to seem "long" to them.

It's different if someone has dyslexia or is learning to read in the language the post is written in, of course. They have good reason to find it harder going.

I have switched mainly to audiobooks, although that's still reading in a sense. I prefer audiobooks for the convenience as you can "read" them while doing anything that isn't distracting.

I see the opposite on Youtube quite often. Something that could be covered with a few lines of text and maybe a picture padded out to a 5 minute video. Yet, for some reason, that doesn't result in people complaining about it being "too long". It's only reading. Is reading really that hard for many people?

Soldato
No, quite the opposite - if someone can't be bothered to put in the effort to make a coherent and well thought out point of view, chances are they don't have much of interest to say in the first place.*

Obviously this is context dependent; a casual conversation about a light-hearted subject - sure a short sentence or 2 is fine, but with anything more in-depth, I'd rather have some meaning behind what they're trying say.

From my observations, part of this comes from people assume their own opinions should be taken as fact and therefore need no reasoning or justification, but to be perfectly honest, I don't care about your opinion unless you have a valid reason for it.

e.g.
  1. XYZ is crap!!!!!
  2. vs I don't like XYZ because <insert well thought out reason(s)/argument(s) here>
I'm far more likely to read and pay attention to 2, because even if I don't agree with the opinion, it could be interesting to read the reasoning behind it for a more balanced view.

Soldato
OP
No, I don't and never have struggled to read them. Longer forum posts, even when terrible, are still often worth more than the two sentence nonsense you've used to start this thread, for instance.

Just a couple of examples [FnG]magnolias threads and the first post:

Hello you darlings, so gorge xx

Would you like to play a game?

> _

No, we will not. Or will we? Absolutely not, save your faith and dreams, they are better currency.

Thank you.

What's that word i'm looking for? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom