Took a "Blobeye" Impreza STI PPP out today

Permabanned
OP
Drivers Republic timing of a remapped ST along with a standard ST and RS Focus timings. STI PPP is quicker to 100 aswell as over a second quicker over the 1/4 mile going by the Evo timings of a 14.5 1/4 mile but the ST is quite a bit quicker with the runs in each gear. Even the standard STs time are quicker in some cases.

http://themotor.myfastforum.org/sutra253613.php

335i is also included that is fast to 100 through the gears !

:)

Permabanned
OP
0-* figures are irrelevant as this is down to the 4WD system.

Even when you put the results out like that, its not like these are massive differences, yet I'm told I'm being ridiculous for thinking the ST was faster :)

Permabanned
OP
When we're talking about small fractions of a second in gear between the ST and the PPP STi, then I don't really see it being 'considerably behind' - the only way that it is going to be considerably behind is if it was from a standing start.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah when its top end there is normally no replacement for displacement. I found that quite shocking with the EVO, it will pull to 160 relatively easily, which for a 2.0l is damn impressive, so turbo clearly helps.

Still give me a V8 though. :D

This is contradictory, as the ST has a 2.5L engine.

The difference is almost certainly down to the Turbo - the ST when tuned does not hold that extra boost that well for lengths of time, so at higher speeds/longer gears boost tails off.

Permabanned
OP
It felt slow (well, not as quick as the ST and I'm talking acceleration, not actual speed) because I'm used to my ST delivering a huge wall of torque at 3000-3500RPM. I'm pretty sure I already explained this.

Permabanned
OP
I was referring more to people like Fox, who will dismiss something purely because it doesn't sound right.

Either way, given that the PPP cars rarely make 300bhp, and will make even less on 95RON (lets say 275bhp for arguments sake) that is around the same figure that my car makes, but with higher transmission losses plus my car has more torque - I do not think it unreasonable that my car at least feels faster, do you? This was my point, I just didn't appreciate the ridicule for something that wasn't that ridiculous.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;17601439 said:
Oh Mike, you really do walk into this all the time dont you :D

Where had it gone then, for a walk? Somebody pinched it? You quite obviously meant you'd sold it. You never disputed ANY of the subsequent replies from people expressing suprise you had sold it either, so thats obviously what you meant had happened :p

Perhaps you missed the post just half hour later, on the same page;

MikeHiow said:
I actually still have the ST, that goes tomorrow as well, but I stopped posting up for suggestions about my plans and ideas as I was criticised for changing my mind so much.

Permabanned
OP
Well there is no buyer to be accommodating as you say, if I'm trading it in with the same dealer that has delayed my new car, is there.

The ST pretty much is gone. At the time, a price had been agreed, I had approved the new car, and I was set to hand the ST over the very next morning.

Permabanned
OP
Actually,I didn't do too bad. I got guide price for my ST, which I was happy with and the dealer pulled most of their margin out of the new car (I know how that sounds, but no, really - benefit of 20 years of family buying from a large chain that can pull a car from another branch at cost).

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I don't like Fords, I like good cars - I've never subscribed to manufacturer loyalty. I wasn't keen on the MY05 Impreza, but it was more than it wasn't as good as I thought it was than out right not liking it. Its also horses for courses, I'm told something like an RA will be more raw and focussed, and being a weekend/occasional use car it doesn't need to be refined.

I'm only going to try it, if I don't like it I can sell up and buy something I do like - I just want to give it a chance longer term.

Permabanned
OP
Edd, I want the RA specifically for the gearbox (and DCCD) :) It'll probably never be used for long trips. AFAIK, they did a WRX and STi RA, the STi being the one with DCCD?

[FNG]magnolia said:
How are you going to source this RA?

Search for sale sites, view a few and then buy one?

Back
Top Bottom