TOOL

Associate
Part of me wishing for what could have been.
13 years a long time. I'm happy with it, but I feel like they had a sound/texture from 10,000 days that's missing from this album.

Great album, strong.

Permabanned
Part of me wishing for what could have been.
13 years a long time. I'm happy with it, but I feel like they had a sound/texture from 10,000 days that's missing from this album.

Great album, strong.

Kind of agree to some extent. I know most fans don't rate 10,000 days too strongly but I still really love it. Had a real pulse to it, not that the other previous albums didn't of course. Production was better there as well I feel. The mix is just slightly off on this album in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Associate
I feel my opinion might be going against the grain in this thread, but I feel this album is poor. It sounds like the last 2 album's leftovers chucked in the microwave, with all of the good vocals and lyrics removed.

I just can't find anything to like about it, really. The drumming is great, I guess, otherwise its completely forgetable. At least I have Ænima and Lateralus.

Last edited:
Soldato
Listened on the drive to work this evening. I like the aesthetic and general vibe, but it's definitely one of those listen-to-the-whole-thing-or-nothing-at-all albums where I'll have to be in the right mood for it.

Associate
I've only listened to about half the album but I really like the sound of it. The previous albums haven't gotten to me that much but this one I've really enjoyed.

Caporegime
I sat down and listened to the whole thing earlier, first time I've done that without doing something else for a long time. Personally I feel it stands up to the quality of their previous albums, no easy task after such a long gap.

Associate
I've only heard the first track they released the other week and found it pretty forgettable and bland, sounded a bit dated as well... their previous records never really sounded dated on release but this specific track did, from the production to the actual music itself... my first thought was that it sounds like a track which didn't make the cut for the previous album.

I should mention that im not that into rock music anymore and find guitar-driven rock music to be pretty stale so that may be influencing my opinion somewhat. I'll still give the new album a listen though.

Soldato
Can we just take a minute to talk about how good 7empest is? Holy crap, it’s easily one of the best songs I’ve ever heard. Ever. Adam Jones on the guitar is absolutely epic. And the drumming is perfection!

The whole song is a musical journey. I can’t stop listening to it!

Associate
I've listened to the full album once so far and dipped into a few songs.

After a sedate opening, Tool really unleash the hot sauce on Invincible and again on 7empest: that is 29 minutes of the finest musicianship I will hear this year, and arguably my 2nd and 3rd favourite tracks released this year. There are some nice touches across the album too, particularly the reverb in the final quarter of Descending. I hadn't picked that up at first, but listening to it on my mini-speaker earlier was a moment.

Based on first listen, I do think the album needed one of the shorter, ferocious tracks Tool are so adept at - an Aenima, a Sober, a Vicarious - to elevate it. Not everything needs to be 13, 14mins in length, although clearly they want to take the listener on some sort of aural journey with the layout of this.

Man of Honour
I really like the second track, Pneuma. By the time the main theme comes back around in a rock / metal version.... awesome :D

I’m do think Tempest would be more accessible if it were more concise. Just like how I wish Pink Floyd were a touch more edit conscious on Dogs.

Soldato
Having listened to it a few times now, I have gotten into it more, but I still don’t feel energised or excited by any of it really. It almost feels like one loooooong build up to 7empest where they drop the noodling for a bit and do an actual Tool song.
Don’t get me wrong, the drumming is fantastic, but as an album it’s somewhat lacking.

It’s 10,000 Days minus the more tribal sounding aspects and Maynard has gone full Puscifer singing mode. Which is fine, if it was a Puscifer album.

Soldato
In what way does it sound like Puscifer :confused:

Probably simply because he actually sings a lot of the songs rather than letting any anger or frustration through, but that's about it. Maynard doesn't sound like Maynard from Tool in Puscifer, and he doesn't sound like Maynard from Puscifer on this either, it's just the melodic change and the way that he uses his voice as another instrument. I see the album as a transcendence of sorts. They're done with the anger and frustration that made up much of their previous albums. Even on Lateralus, not all songs on that were angry, although there was more grittiness to his voice, but that was an album released a long time ago. 10000 days had some songs like that, but Wings Pt 1 and 2, The Pot and Right In Two were pretty melodic and melancholic (certainly Wings was anyway, and to a certain degree Right In Two) but I see Fear Inoculum as a logical evolution in their sound, them moving onward to something new, but still keeping a lot of their old sound. It's unmistakenly Tool, but with the refinement of what they've gained from their other music projects and life experience for the past 13 years. It's an absolute masterpiece of amazing music and I really don't get how people don't see that.

I guess everyone just expects the same old after 13 years, but they've all moved on musically and it would have been a shame to have more of the same. I'm just thankful that they're still able to release something so gobsmackingly amazing in this age. Most of the music we experience on a daily basis is a shower of crap. This puts most of it to shame.

Associate
I am really enjoying the album. I mostly sit and listen to the whole, rather than just one or two tracks. My music listening is through the hifi, and with the volume up, so a nice wall of sound. I tend to be an active listener, limited distractions. The album certainly draws me in. I know some people have complained about the mix on some forums, but I think it's great. To my ears a very different experience to the other Tool albums, more cohesive, a longer arc to it. Different to Puscifer, different musical style. Love them both.

Soldato
Well they knocked Tay Tay Swift of the top of the US Album chart by around 80k more sales so, and I cringe as I type this, the TS Fan base have taken offence to Maynard insulting their dethroned queen after he posted a Thanos meme to celebrate taking the No1 spot.

0c9.png

Back
Top Bottom