Toolless RJ45 connectors?

Associate
Planning ahead for when I move into a 2 bed flat, floorplan below. I think the fibre connection comes in next to the lounge window.
I plan to use bedroom 2 as a home office. Rather have my desktop connected via ethernet to get the best speed from the connection, so hoping i can drill through the wall into bedroom 1 and run cat6 cable around the bedroom, drill holes in the closet and out into bedroom 2.
Will need to be a big hole to feed a RJR5 connector through and never crimped a cable together myself before. Seen toolless connectors that look easy enough. Anyone used them and recommend?

As it's not a big place, would mesh wi-fi be an alternative to the drilling into walls and would the conenction speed go down much? Be on Full Fibre - FTTH 160/160.

MIbDeYfe_o.jpg

Use toolless ones at work, never had one fail. Only downside to them is cost really, but if your only making one cable it's ideal.

If you were to go the CAT 6 route why not just get a RJ45 crimping kit since looking at toolless ones you've still got to put the wires in the right place? RJ45 Crimping Kit

As for a mesh network, my house is 2 stories brick house and my single Ubiquiti U6 Pro AP covers the whole house, upstairs and downstairs without any issue.

Thanks. The toolless ones looks easier to put the wires into? Do you get close to the full speed on the mesh setup ElliorR?

If I'm reading you right, you basically want to have a (loose?) ethernet cable going through your wall between bedroom 1 and 2? Is that correct?

Is there a (cosmetic?, location viability?) reason why using two wall plates - with one end on each side (and connectors there where you only need to punch down) and then purchasing two pre-made cat5e/6/6a patch cables (to connect into them) not prefered? As the cable connection between the two rooms would be static then once connected up (and less worry of break or accidentally tugging something you can't see in the other room), and you need only plug in your ethernet cable in on either rooms side when needed. It also means if you damage any part of the connection you don't need to redo the "entire" length of the cable. Just the parts you need to (your room, other room, or the connection between).

Just my thoughts on that. Not a major thing, but is a genuine query - As I believe a connection through a wall that's loose and not connected up is often seen as (eventually) unreliable.

Ah OK. That'll be fine to secure it into place and prevent most accidents you would encounter with having just a wire through the wall.

But in case you might be staying there a while and might re-arrange your new home office (as well as stuff in the other room), the wall socket approach might be something to consider given you will be less impacted by where you can place your computer and furniture then.

As once the cable is in now (and connected up) that's the length it'll be until you change it entirely (so if you want to move your computer to the far otherwise of the room, it might not reach anymore). But the wall socket approach just means you get a longer patch cable and tuck behind furniture to hide away, but you won't be limited by the length of the cable you initially fit between the two rooms.

Just trying to make your life easier if you're staying a while. Either approach is good given you're also protecting your connection up. :)

Yeah using sockets would be a nice option but there's less than 2 inches between the cupboard door frames and the walls. I'm not a DIY'er and it's usally not straight forward with me so I dunno what I'll do for sure yet.
Don't mind forking out for a good MESH kit, but want make sure getting best out the fibre connection which isn't cheap and everyone say's ethernet cable if possible, anything else if a downgrade.

Last edited:
Idealy you want solid core cable terminated into a back box then you'll never have to touch it again. The back boxes have breakouts in the side as well as the top and bottom so you can have the cable enter on any side. If space in front is an issue you can get angled connectors for the patch leads. Alternatively shallow back boxes and angled keystone jacks exist as well which might give you enough clearance. Much easyer to punchdwon into the keystone jacks than crimp a connector IMO.

Though not ideal a bare cable with a connector on the end is the simplest quickest solution. If you needed to extend it you can use a coupler or reterminate in into a connector block so you wouldn't necessarily have to replace the whole run with a longer length of cable.

Just depends if you want more work now for potentially less later or vice versa.

Last edited:
As above, don't faff around with trying to crimp connectors on it. Do it properly and terminate them to faceplates, then you just need patch leads to the device.

Back
Top Bottom