Torchlight 3

Soldato
OP
Only played the 1st but really enjoyed it. Except for 1 line of dialog:

'My pack is full!' :D

Must get and play the 2nd at some point! :D

The second one had a pet with it's own inventory. You could transfer stuff to the pet, and it would take it back to town to sell, and then come back a minute later. You didn't have to stop playing the current map, you just had to do without the pet for combat/bonuses for a minute.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Will have a look but 1 and 2 were bang average compared to other ARPG's imo. :)

I found them really satisfying to play. They did everything really well without being too dark and gritty. I liked that slightly cartoony quality to it. They both had that really important "fun factor" and combat was slick and smooth.

Permabanned
I found them really satisfying to play. They did everything really well without being too dark and gritty. I liked that slightly cartoony quality to it. They both had that really important "fun factor" and combat was slick and smooth.

I liked them, as far as they went, but found them a bit limited compared to other games. :)

Soldato
OP
I liked them, as far as they went, but found them a bit limited compared to other games. :)

Yeah, they didn't have a massive talent tree like PoE, but to me it just meant it was easier to play because it was easier to build viable characters and get good gear even across classes. That simplicity made it fun, rather than having to scruitize builds. It's like they pared it down to the core of ARPG/classes/loot&level and just polished it up till it shined.

Soldato
Really enjoyed playing Torchlight II with friends, so glad they are making a third.

We loved the simplicity of TLII. Great game for a bunch of casual players who aren't fussed about endless build choices. :)

Soldato
OP
A big article at Eurogamer:

Torchlight 3 feels like it's come out of nowhere because in many ways it has. For a long time it was known as Torchlight Frontiers. It wasn't a codename but a name for something fundamentally different to the Torchlight games which had come before. It was free-to-play. But the people playing the alpha didn't like it and, truth be told, the developer didn't either, so late last year, big, bold changes were made. The studio went dark and when it reemerged in January, it announced a remarkable turnaround. No longer did the game have a free-to-play heart. It, and all its wiring, had been ripped out and replaced by a buy-once, premium design. No longer was the game fundamentally different to the Torchlights which came before it. No longer was the game Torchlight Frontiers. It was, instead, Torchlight 3.

And people loved it.

"We had no idea the name part itself meant so much to people." I'm talking to Tyler Thompson, co-founder of Echtra Games and co-lead of Torchlight 3, whose credits stretch back to being co-lead on Diablo 2 expansion Lord of Destruction, with his Torchlight 3 co-lead Max Schaefer. How things circle back around, eh!

Soldato
Early Access is up £23 on Steam :)

It supports Ultrawide !

I saw it on steam was gonna but and then I saw my nightmare "early access" fuuuuu I hate early access.

anyway people are already complaining - the game is online only (you can't play torchlight 3 offline) and the game servers right now are extremely unstable

Soldato
It's had your typical online EA release problems but it seems stable now.

Shame the reviews on steam are so bad due to the launch issues.

If you liked the first few Torchlight games you will like this, it's fun so far.

Soldato
So they made Torchlight Frontiers for mobile and it flopped, so they took out the in-game purchases and came crawling back to steam with a £30.99 price tag...

I'll probably skip this one heh

Associate
After the Frontiers fiasco and having played the first 2 games, I don't really think the franchise is worth any attention whatsoever anymore. 2, for all the praise it gets, is absolute ***** until you mod it and even then the gameplay loop leaves you thinking "why am I even doing this?"

Back
Top Bottom