Touch Disease 6 plus

Associate
anyone else got this ? after lots of googling looks like im going to have to cough £150 for a design flaw by Apple

Soldato
I managed to 'fix' my wife's 6 Plus with this by taking it apart and putting a thick thermal pad on top of the affected chip on the PCB. The theory being that the pressure put on the chip would help the broken solder balls contact again. This was back in August last year if I remember rightly and it's still going strong. I figured even if it only lasted a couple of months it would be better than nothing but here's hoping it'll last at least until the next iPhone since the 6S and 7 have been a waste of time.

Associate
OP
Seemed to indicate free if its the proven design flaw.

do you have a link please . everything I've read said there are court cases against Apple in the USA and Canada in progress at the moment but could take years

I managed to 'fix' my wife's 6 Plus with this by taking it apart and putting a thick thermal pad on top of the affected chip on the PCB. The theory being that the pressure put on the chip would help the broken solder balls contact again. This was back in August last year if I remember rightly and it's still going strong. I figured even if it only lasted a couple of months it would be better than nothing but here's hoping it'll last at least until the next iPhone since the 6S and 7 have been a waste of time.

Fair play , i had a look at the home fix ' looks far beyond my capability's

Soldato
Yeah I had that stuff, ended up buying a screen off zon for £35 quid(was out of warranty when it happened ironically :rolleyes: ), didn't really fix it though, think I bent the metal piece and can hear what sounds like one of the chips in the top corner rattling around, so in the end I managed to get an identical model(well less storage) from my mum who upgraded, other than cracking the screen last night, this one doesn't have the disease.

There's so many different variations for the cause, think for me with the sound of a rattling chip, that phone needs a new logic board, but people are selling decent 6/6 plus from £140 so I wouldn't pay more than £40 for a screen etc.

Soldato
I would have thought the relevant consumer protection law's would have your back on this issue especially as it has been proven it is a design flaw....

Soldato
Doesn't apply unfortunately. Although the design is incredibly weak it is caused by impact (even repeated light impacts) so consumer law won't cover it - it's not present at purchase and doesn't develop over time by itself

Associate
I am currently with EE and within the last 2 weeks it has got worse and worse and the top quarter of the screen just will not register any touch at all, very annoying.

Not sure what EE are like in terms of sending away to get fixed but I am on contract with an iPhone 6S Plus which I got in November 2016 so wondering if they would replace it or repair it? Guessing they will "Try" and repair first so save money, just hoping they have a loan phone in I can use.

Associate
OP
I am currently with EE and within the last 2 weeks it has got worse and worse and the top quarter of the screen just will not register any touch at all, very annoying.

Not sure what EE are like in terms of sending away to get fixed but I am on contract with an iPhone 6S Plus which I got in November 2016 so wondering if they would replace it or repair it? Guessing they will "Try" and repair first so save money, just hoping they have a loan phone in I can use.
what was the outcome ?

Associate
Not here, my 6+ is still working perfectly. Had it since December 2014.

Quoting myself here, I had a fully working phone at the time!
The phone has quite recently developed this touch disease problem. It doesn't happen all of the time but often enough to be annoying. I can make it work again by twisting the phone slightly, but I'd rather not keep doing that.
It's a shame as I was hoping to sell the phone on, or possibly see how much Apple would give me for it now I have an X on order.

Has anyone managed to get this repaired without having to pay the £150 Apple want for it?
I had considered trying to repair it myself using the thermal pad suggestion earlier in the thread, but I suppose Apple would notice this during their evaluation of the phone.

Back
Top Bottom