Touch ID Hot / Replacement

Permabanned
I have an iPhone 6S, touch ID doesn't work.

Possible hardware fault as it gets hot, out of warranty now too!

Anyone successfully replaced their Touch ID button?

I have done some reading and I'm not sure if theres a solution to the problem.

EDIT: Can this be moved to the Apple hardware section please?

Man of Honour
Why don't you just take it to Apple and have them repair it? If you get lucky they may do it for free.

I would not be trusting any third party parts with my fingerprint!

Permabanned
OP
Why don't you just take it to Apple and have them repair it? If you get lucky they may do it for free.

I would not be trusting any third party parts with my fingerprint!

I removed my print ID from the settings. I dropped it in water when I went Fishing! I'm surprised it survived this much as it was under for 5 minuets before I found it! lol I could open it up and check the water sensors first then book an appointment if it looks ok.

Associate
IIRC changing the touch ID causes the phone to brick unless its an apple technician with the key to resync the secure module to the mainboard as thats part of the security of the phone.

Edit: The bricking of the phone has been fixed but it does not re-enable touch ID as its part of the phones secure enclave.

Allowing a third-party Touch ID sensor to function properly without an official Apple repair center both verifying that it is legitimate and recalibrating the cable to work with your iPhone’s Secure Enclave is a huge security risk. A malicious repair shop or corrupted part could allow unauthorized access to your phone or its data. Apple is absolutely right to disable TouchID — it was also wrong for it to disable your entire iPhone for getting your home button replaced on the cheap.

If you want to retain Touch ID functionality, you can get your home button replaced by Apple. If cost is a concern (and you don’t mind losing Touch ID) you can still get it done elsewhere without fear of bricking your phone.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/18/a...-ios-to-restore-iphones-disabled-by-error-53/

Soldato
Even Apple (Retail Stores) don't resync the Touch ID signature with the circuit board. They take your phone away and give you a new one (or charge you for one) and probably send it back to the factory or another facility to do that. You can replace the button but Touch ID will be disabled, so best to leave it alone unless pressing the button doesn't work too.

Soldato
Yeah sadly you are ****** If you fix this yourself then #1 the touch id will still not work as apple turn it off and #2 the second your phone updates it will brick again apple do knowingly to make people invest more money into their ecosystem. Apple won't repair it out of warranty.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah sadly you are ****** If you fix this yourself then #1 the touch id will still not work as apple turn it off and #2 the second your phone updates it will brick again apple do knowingly to make people invest more money into their ecosystem. Apple won't repair it out of warranty.

This is a sad state of affair. Discussting if this is the case by Apple. Luckily things are working up to now.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a sad state of affair. Discussing if this is the case by Apple. Luckily things are working up to now.

Apple are infamous for it. They design their parts to fail shortly out of warranty. & The only reason they charge £400+ after warranty to fix something that costs for instance £2 in parts is because they know you are more likely to buy a newer model from them @£475. It's a criminal marking strategy and should not be tolerated. I love my iPhone i think it's great and i *touches wood* have not yet had any major issues. But the second they try to do me over personally they will forever lose my custom.

Man of Honour
Apple are infamous for it. They design their parts to fail shortly out of warranty. & The only reason they charge £400+ after warranty to fix something that costs for instance £2 in parts is because they know you are more likely to buy a newer model from them @£475. It's a criminal marking strategy and should not be tolerated. I love my iPhone i think it's great and i *touches wood* have not yet had any major issues. But the second they try to do me over personally they will forever lose my custom.
There's just so much wrong with this post. The most Apple charge is £346.44 to replace a 7+ so I'm not sure where you get £400+ to fix something.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/pricing

iPhone model

Screen repair only
Other damage
iPhone 7 Plus £ 156.44 £ 346.44
iPhone 7 £ 136.44 £ 316.44
iPhone 6s Plus,
iPhone 6 Plus £ 156.44 £ 326.44
iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 £ 136.44 £ 296.44
iPhone SE £ 136.44 £ 255.44
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c,
iPhone 5 £ 136.44 £ 255.44
iPhone 4s See "other damage" fee £ 186.44

Soldato

Well Apple themselves don't turn it off, it's designed that if the touch id signature doesn't match that one burned into the phone then TouchID will be disabled. I'm sure they could change iOS to allow a different one as long as it alerts the user or locks the phone until the correct passcode is entered.

Back
Top Bottom