TP Link Archer AX23 & OneMesh - Can I use multiple routers to create mesh?

Soldato
That really... I currently have a TP Link Archer AX23 which I use in router only mode in partnership with a BT Whole Home mesh which I'm happy with but is only wifi 5. I get the nagging feeling I have too many devices for it as things go wrong from time to time but I have a LOT of smart home etc.

I noticed today you can pick up the AX23 for £66 currently and wondered if I could just buy a few more of them and create a mesh with them?

Eg does their mesh HAVE to be made with a router and specific nodes or could I just put additional routers into access point mode and use them as the mesh?

Considering the current BT dishes are all plugged into switches it seems to be win/win on using routers given they've all got ethernet ports anyway plus it's an upgrade to wifi 6 plus they all have lots of antennas etc etc.

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Actually it turns out I have an ax73 so quite a bit faster. I assume ax1800 speed isn't worth the move.

Still interested in the concept though if anyone can confirm.

Soldato
I believe OneMesh is a TP-Link thing that's only limited to their own routers. Not even their other mesh Deco line can work with them. Looking at this page it seems a bit more restricted compared to other brands though, you can't use two routers together, only with OneMesh extenders/powerlines.

You can have different brand routers in access point mode but they all won't work in mesh (as in, seamlessly move between nodes). But they can still have the same SSID and passwords, just need to make sure they're not using overlapping channels to avoid any possible issues. That way it will be up to the client device to move from one router/access point to the other instead of the mesh handing them off to a closer node.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I was only suggesting using TP Link OneMesh compatible routers but your point about it being a single router paired with explicit extenders, not routers.

Seems silly but there we go, it's hardly urgent so I'll hang on until I see a decent offer on orbi/eero pro etc.

Back
Top Bottom