TPCAST for Oculus Rift will be available by the end of Q4 2017

Permabanned
From vrfocus.com - https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/10/tpcast-working-on-wireless-support-for-oculus-rift/
Talk about wireless virtual reality (VR) and one of the companies likely to be mentioned is TPCAST, the Vive X Accelerator startup that announced work on a wireless module for HTC Vive in 2016. Since then the device has been made available in China and pre-orders opened up in North America last month – although getting hold of one is another matter. Today the company has revealed that an Oculus Rift version is being worked on.

One of the biggest issues most users have with high-end VR is the cable linking the headset to the PC, so that even with room-scale experiences there’s still that feeling of being tethered, and not quite having complete freedom in a virtual world. The TPCast Wireless Adapter supports 2K video transmission at 90FPS with sub 2ms latency, supplied with a battery to power the headset and the wireless module that can last for up 5 hours of operation.

“TPCAST is committed to support the Oculus Rift HMD with our unique wireless technology solutions, and provide VR users a high-quality, immersive VR encounter,” stated Michael Liu, TPCAST CEO in a statement. “With the TPCAST wireless adapter, we will be changing the VR usage and experience by providing the complete freedom of movement with no cables attached.”

So when can Oculus Rift users go wireless? Well TPCAST has said the Wireless Adapter for Oculus Rift will be available by the end of Q4 2017.

Can't really get excited for it though since we know the price for the Vive version.

Associate
Glad it’s coming out, but I believe the price of the Vive’s TP CAST is almost the price of a new Oculus Rift!? Needs £200 knocking off before I even start to consider it, even that’s more than I care to pay just to remove a cable from my play space

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do you say that? Do the wires not annoy you?

As Wrinkly said, I got the cable management system from Midwec. Don't even notice the wires at all anymore. :)

And yeah, I understand it's not the best looking solution in the world, but, you can put it up and take it down in seconds. So it only looks untidy while playing.

Permabanned
OP
It would be worth knowing if it is the same hardware as the Vive version with a swappable interface. Will it be possible to buy the wireless package and then an interface to the Pimax for example? That would at least help justify the silly price.

Back
Top Bottom