Track day tyre usage

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

I'm doing a track day in my Jaguar XFR in around a month. It will be my first one.

My rear tyres have around 4mm left on them, is that likely to be enough for the day and to get me home still legal, or would it be wise to have the tyres changed beforehand?

Thanks,

Mal

Soldato
XFR is a big heavy and powerful car. You will overheat normal road tyres and good chance they will be mullered tbh.
It largely depends on the surface though, tracks can range from very low to very high wear, and if it's wet then wear will be negligible no matter where.

Soldato
My old boss destroyed his tyres and clutch in no time at all tracking his XKR. But it was driven very hard :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Look after the tyres by doing a hot lap followed by two cool down laps and you'll be fine. I do this when tracking my Westfield, and the hot lap is always quicker this way vs back to back hot laps and the tyres last waaaay longer as well. Also gives everything else (engine, oil, brakes, gearbox etc) a chance to cool down as well.

Associate
Deffo do a warm up and warm down laps between your hot lap(s) but even with that in mind driving it like it should be driven will put you below the legal limit by the end of the day imo.

Back
Top Bottom