Tracking question

Soldato
Background:
- Recently purchased a used C class coupe. Previously (and still do) have one from new so more or less know how they should drive. This one has larger tyres and is slightly faster, otherwise, the same.
- Had the tracking done as the steering wheel wasn't completely straight, off by a few degrees to the left, not much but enough to bother me.
- Four wheel laser alignment done on Saturday :rolleyes: but they aligned it using the profile of a "Mercedes-Benz : 205 (C Class 2014-) : without 4MATIC : with code 485 (Standard Suspension) Sedan/Estate (W/S)".
- The alignment got everything in the green except for the caster (ever so slightly misses the green section on both the left and right front by the same amount) - this can't be adjusted in the same way. (My thoughts are could this genuinely be out or has the wrong profile been selected or both?)
- However, my car is a coupe and is the 2018-2021 model.
- Still doesn't drive as expected as there now appears to be a slight pull to the left in my opinion (two others have driven it and can't notice it, could it just be in my head?). This is different to the initial issue, as it drove relatively straight but the steering wheel was not.
- Tyres are relatively new.

Hence my questions are:
1) Is the hunter machine profile selection wrong or is it likely that it is a generic profile that is used for this car and it should still be ok?
2) This one is potentially obvious but I can see both tyres on the left are 5kpa (0.7 psi) lower than those on the right, could correcting this resolve the issue? I thought the garage should have done that before carrying out the alignment...?
3) More or less unanswerable: could it just be in my head? Two friends have driven it and don't think it's pulling (one of them is a self proclaimed petrol head)
4) Could it be that the alignment has been done correctly and it is the result of the caster being out?

The simple answer to a lot of the above is take it back and have them redo it but it's at least a 50 minute drive away. I did call them up once I noticed the profile discrepancy and the guy on the phone said it might have been human error and to bring it back but I am curious to get the thoughts of the all knowing OcUK Motors section before going back there.

Soldato
This one has larger tyres
do you mean outside of manufacturer (width/wheel-size?) spec and maybe offset wrongly ?
maybe they then need more castor angle to tolerate camber on UK roads - does it drive ok on the motorway ?

Soldato
Definitely make sure your tyre pressures are at the manufacturer settings.

Is the rest of the suspension in good shape? Worn components will affect the handling as well.

Associate
like most new cars now the C class only has toe adjustment. camber and caster cannot be adjusted. if there is a problem with these, then you probably either have damage to an arm or you need some camber bolts, Mercedes do them but they only offer a very small adjustment window
there is this company who sells various kits that allow for full adjustment

what size wheels do you have, my c205 C43 has 19's with 225x40x19 front and 255x35x19 rear

Soldato
I totally understand you on feeling when the car isn't right, it's familiarity.

Learning from experience here - don't take your car back to the wheel alignment outfit; they ****** it up once, they'll **** it up again. Take it to the main dealer for a wheel alignment, they know your particular car and know what to look for. Sure it'll cost more but then you'll know it's done right. If it is the main dealer that's done this then my sympathies!

Check your tyres for homologation marks. This was where my previous woes started, the tyre place fitted MO (Mercedes) homologated marked tyres to my 640d and the ride was terrible. The tyre place messed around with wheel alignment multiple times to improve the situation but just messed it up even more. Almost had me believe it was in my head and eventually I put up with it. It wrecked the tyres and my confidence in the car to a degree.

As others have said also get the suspension components checked for wear or damage, previous repair.

Soldato
@Mysterae_ - I had totally the opposite experience with a Honda main dealer who simply lied that they had done the alignment. It was “in spec sir”. Center Gravity almost didn’t let me drive the car home it was so far out (and the adjusters had seized). Wouldn’t go near a main dealer for suspension work that I actually care about!

Always contrasting opinions wherever you look!

Back
Top Bottom