Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
The tracking and app was better with Deliveroo in Germany, but they still failed.

Here? I can't use Deliveroo, they don't operate in rural areas. I just don't think they have the nous to compete personally.

I don't see the fact that Deliveroo uses AWS has a bearing on anything....it's not like it's a big customer relatively speaking, not going to affect their investment decisions anyway.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
From my experience, in a city, Deliveroo/Uber Eats are a much better offering than Just Eat. Fair enough it’s possibly different in other countries, but here, Just Eat is terrible.

Soldato
I've found if it is on JustEat, it is typically easier and cheaper to call direct. If it is on UberEats/Deliveroo, you have the benefit of premium subscription (unlimited free delivery or w/e it is) and more choice (places that don't do their own delivery).

The tracking and app was better with Deliveroo in Germany, but they still failed.

Here? I can't use Deliveroo, they don't operate in rural areas. I just don't think they have the nous to compete personally.

I don't see the fact that Deliveroo uses AWS has a bearing on anything....it's not like it's a big customer relatively speaking, not going to affect their investment decisions anyway.
The comment was that Amazon are using the IPO to wash their hands of them, but reality is, they are still very much aligned to Deliveroo and I expect something in the works (similar to Amazon Fresh with Morrisons or something).

Associate
I'm not going to be taking a punt on Deliveroo personally because I'm sceptical of the business model long term, but I will say that around here (London) it appears to be doing fine. Personally 90% of the time nowadays I use uber eats or deliveroo over just-eat as I find their restaurant selection is better, and their software (e.g. driver tracking) is miles ahead. I'm aware driver tracking etc is missing because just-eat doesn't directly employ their drivers - unless they've changed recently? - but as a user I find it what uber/deliveroo offer to be a much better experience.

Where I live I have to use just-eat as neither Deliveroo or Uber Eats will deliver to my area :D

Associate

I imagine they just don't care about rural areas though. It's unfortunate but why would they? The vast majority of their potential customers are in or around cities.

Soldato
I imagine they just don't care about rural areas though. It's unfortunate but why would they? The vast majority of their potential customers are in or around cities.

Why would they care? Because they've just handed the market over to Just Eat by not even attempting to compete. Mindshare matters.

They aren't competing on advertising.

Takeaway.com is the smarter business, with a track record of beating Deliveroo.

If I was to wager on who's going to become the dominant player, my money would go on Just Eat, without a doubt.

Soldato
Why would they care? Because they've just handed the market over to Just Eat by not even attempting to compete. Mindshare matters.

They aren't competing on advertising.

Takeaway.com is the smarter business, with a track record of beating Deliveroo.

If I was to wager on who's going to become the dominant player, my money would go on Just Eat, without a doubt.
It is a totally different proposition. Do JustEat have a delivery network?

Soldato

I don't have a strong opinion either way and don't care to get into endless debate, but I won't be getting involved in their IPO, because my experience as a customer is 1) their failure in the German market, and 2) they don't even entertain me being a customer here in the UK. Those are not good omens.

Maybe their proposition is flawed....

Associate

Not if the mindshare is such a small percentage of their potential customer base in my opinion. I actually agree with you that just-eat has a better business model as they don't directly employ the drivers (unless they do now?). I'm just not so sure they'll become dominant due to their relatively worse user experience and (in my area at least) the restaurant selection. I'm not touching the deliveroo IPO either due to what I perceive to be a weakness in their current model: What happens if the courts decide their riders must be classified as employees? Does this destroy any profit margin?

Soldato
What happens if the courts decide their riders must be classified as employees? Does this destroy any profit margin?

What profit margin? It makes a £200m or loss each year despite surging sales in 2020, and was going to go out of business if Amazon didn't step in last year.

It does have sales of over £4bn though so there is potential. UK market is only £600m that includes the 65% rise in 2020

Soldato
This market correction is ridiculous I'm starting to wonder if the US Tech bubble has broke...

Looking at the UK markets, I'm into HMSO and plan to be until the end of the year, same with RR and PRSM. I'm actually hoping PRSM do a listing on the US NASDAQ or similar in the hope that could see the price pumped up, it does seem undervalued compared to competition.

Soldato
US tech is not the bubble, Or at least the big ones, Alphabet, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, facebook.

There is a premium to pay but ultimately they all make $$$$$ like mad.

The bubble is in the real economy, and "green energy" thematic etf's. and certainly in some of the smaller companies.

The biggest bubble of all is bonds.

I consider all of those companies as ebay, as in they offer a matchmaker service and take a fee.

They should ALL be profitable very quickly and have high margins.

At the same time you can compete with them VERY easily. So any investments in them IMO, are for the short term based on speculation as ultimately i dont think any of them are profitable long term. and if they are it is on a much smaller scale meaning it should be a loss making long term investment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom