Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I've just sold my stock in Marsh & Mclennan Inc, it's the firm I work for and I was buying up stock every month from 2011 to 2017 (SIP & SAYE) and since then it's been held in a trading account. It's the best move I've ever made, when I started buying the stock I shares were around $28 today they are around $92, for the £5600 I've invested I'm getting back around about £13,000 after fees and FX conversion. All of it is going towards a new kitchen extension.

Soldato
Is that a scheme that allows the continual purchase at the original $28 price, either way nice amount of growth there and dividends :)
hctUZQL.jpg If we got a decent selloff overall, rebuy at 50 maybe

I sold RMG as I had not been happy enough to regularly buy it on the lows, so want to stay consistent. I'm all out for first time since IPO. It might be ok because of asset values, etc, but I'd rather buy on lows.

Owchie, nasty drop on RMG I think its probably oversold as they are basically a utility which tend to do better as shares in challenged markets.

https://citywire.co.uk/funds-insider/news/the-expert-view-royal-mail-hargreaves-and-domino-s/a1195947?re=61774&ea=249194&utm_source=BulkEmail_FundsInsider DawnChorus&utm_medium=BulkEmail_FundsInsider DawnChorus&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_FundsInsider DawnChorus&_ga=2.36574690.359060070.1548841506-1503189644.1548841506#i=2

Is FCX more tied to copper or gold. I think they are owner of the one of worlds highest/biggest gold mines on top of one of the seven summits. Not sure any fund I have owns them maybe because they are split
v45ki1h.png
Because gold is a hedge its ok to draw a reasonable uptrend for it over years, see it break that uptrend, confirm the old trend as a top before wasting 8 years of my time waiting while it corrects.
Or maybe that was a bit of a mistake by me, lots of the mines have made a profit within that time and shares but its not been a bull market. I think its far more likely to be a positive sector overall now and past a negative trend

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
I know that generally over the course of time, an index generally goes up. There will be dips but the overall trend is a 6% rise.

Does anyone know what is going on with the Japanese market which pretty much flatlined in the last 30 years? In fact, it only recovered what it had lost in the previous 22 years in the last 7. All of them had a dip in 08/09 but the Japanese economy seems to be on the way down before that.

1FWNspg.png

0TbR3VY.png

G787uWa.png

Ij3LWTN.png

Soldato
Any long term comparison has to include the currency value as its the denominator. Value can be lost while the price goes up, I think its all easily confused. Japan is the originator of QE far before USA and its never been dealt with or reversed so far as I know, nor has it blown up despite being an obvious conclusion but essentially their central bank is broke but able to continue while the country is rich. Inflation is a form of tax. Also some extreme demographics in Japan

Short sterling long stocks, article
https://twitter.com/GarryWhite/status/1097781044336578560

ajmsnsn.png
https://pricedingold.com/

Caporegime
Hi guys. Passive retail investor with £50k sat in premium bonds.

My plan is to move £20k of this into a cash ISA before the end of the tax year, then move £5k into a SIPP and drip feed the rest into index funds (accumulator) through a S&S ISA.

1. Does this sound sensible for someone with both medium term (kids' education) and long term (retirement) objectives?

2. Can I do all this through one platform such as Vanguard Investor?

I'm currently maximising my employer pension (I put in 6%, they put in 12%), but haven't yet calculated if I'll hit the £1m LTA.

The rest of the premium bonds money will be used partly as an emergency fund and partly to purchase shares through my employer's share save scheme next year, which is effectively risk free with a 25% discount to spot but you cannot receive less than you put in.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, what platforms can people reccomend for the trading of stocks and shares, preferably in a ISA wrapper? I've only ever invested in funds through HL for long term however I'd like to dabble in more short term trading. The HL fees seem high to me, over £10 a trade. This is too much for me as I only want to try out with some small amounts to begin with.

Soldato
HL are ok for funds I think, they rebate some of the cost but also charge a fee monthly. The problem with any advice on pension related is it needs your specific details, literally how much money and what age are you. HL charges a % fee so its not the cheapest if you got a lot in the SIPP, I think anyone close to retiring is often best served by an actual IFA but then you need to know one. Going to a bank isnt really a IFA, I standing for independent. moneysavingforum goes over a lot of these questions

I use Fidelty for ISA, its going to be cheaper then my last broker is all I know

Premium bonds is better then cash but its not a good return though its tax free its just good for that gamble factor I think

Beautiful melt down on this gold miner stock, commodities are really awesome like that. I think the military dictatorship that owns half the company is the effect seen in the price, but imo its just fine for speculators because its so evident why mainstream money would be apprehensive.
The news it fell on was something like 480k ounces not the 530k expected and it was a projection anyway and of course the gold price is changing every day in any case.
I think its a decent buy still so long as Egypt stays stable but also I should have been selling/trading it more after its prior gains, for risk management.
Of course it was tipped twice in newspapers just days before the fall :D
0nNi8PD.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys. Passive retail investor with £50k sat in premium bonds.

My plan is to move £20k of this into a cash ISA before the end of the tax year, then move £5k into a SIPP and drip feed the rest into index funds (accumulator) through a S&S ISA.

1. Does this sound sensible for someone with both medium term (kids' education) and long term (retirement) objectives?

2. Can I do all this through one platform such as Vanguard Investor?

I'm currently maximising my employer pension (I put in 6%, they put in 12%), but haven't yet calculated if I'll hit the £1m LTA.

The rest of the premium bonds money will be used partly as an emergency fund and partly to purchase shares through my employer's share save scheme next year, which is effectively risk free with a 25% discount to spot but you cannot receive less than you put in.

Thanks.

Vanguard just delayed the launch of their SIPP but it shouldn’t be too much longer.

Soldato
You know how everyone always says 'do your research' - where do novice traders get this research / instant news from?

Sources I can think of are:

- FT.com
- Bloomberg / business new channels
- Erm...

It's probably too late by the time it hits those. So unless it more general market research and behaviour they are probably talking about something close to but just on the right side of insider trading. ;)

Caporegime
What are people's thoughts about big US equities? Bubble waiting to burst, or still under valued?

I've got an 100% stocks ISA with a heavy bias to US equities, which are supposedly over valued if anything and may therefore become bearish (get me saying bearish), however bonds are expected to go down in value when interest rates start rising, so without having the knowledge or balls to invest in currency or commodities or shorts, where on earth am I meant to invest for anything that stands a chance of beating general inflation?

Feels like my best safe bet is hoping I win a decent premium bonds prize!

Associate
Can anyone recommend who to use for casual share trading?
I've been using hargreaves lansdown but their app is useless. Keeps crashing when trying to buy and sell and their prices for trades are high.
Im only interested in casual trading and use a stocks ISA.

Which services do people recommend with a decent android app
Thanks.
IG app is great, I use it daily

Back
Top Bottom