#Tradwife

Man of Honour
You just wouldn't be able to afford kids.

We have 2 kids and I currently am the only one earning. It's doable, you just have to make cut backs, like only 1 holiday a year (though at the moment that's unlikely! :D), no fancy sports car, etc... I'm still able to overpay mortgage and save some money (£100 quid here and there), but very little luxuries other than that. Frivolous spending has to be cut back, and you do think "do I really need this?".

That said, my wife is itching to get back to work, and hope that she can find a part-time local job rather than have to commute into London every day. And I don't want her to be a housewife, she had a successful career, and is great at her job, but she made the choice to be more homely over the last few years, which is fine we were in a position to do that but you do have to make sacrifices, even on large salaries.

Personally though I couldn't think of anything worse, don't get me wrong it's nice to come home to a well kept home (impossible with kids to be fair), I don't expect it. I work long days/hours, so I'm on different schedule to the family - but I'd also happily stay at home more if she was earning enough to look after the family.

Associate
very based, ive noticed recently that what is/was trendy in some youth circles years ago is now becoming mainstream years later. I suppose thats often the case.

Man of Honour
You are a liar.

No, I am not. You explicitly stated that women who work for pay are owned by their employer. Possibly men too - your post wasn't clear about that.

I'll quote you:

[..]
They did it by getting women to work. It's legal slavery because businesses got that labour for no extra cost. [..]

If you don't agree with what you wrote, say so. Accusing people of lying when they say you wrote something that you wrote publically and which is still in public makes you look bad.

Unless, of course, you somehow don't know what slavery is. But that's silly. You can't possibly be that ignorant.

Permabanned
Knowing what a word means is not failing reading comprehension.

If you didn't mean what you wrote, have some integrity and admit it. We all make mistakes and a minor one like using the wrong word on a forum isn't a big deal. You won't die.
If you think words mean something different to what they actually mean, that's your problem. Go back to Twitter.

Man of Honour
If you think words mean something different to what they actually mean, that's your problem. Go back to Twitter.

The word "slavery" has a meaning. It "actually means" slavery. No, really. It does. I don't care what you've seen someone saying on Twitter. The meaning of a word is not defined by you alone or whatever some random person on Twitter wrote and you read.

It's quite weird that you've used the wrong word and have responded by insisting that the word you used doesn't mean what it means because something something Twitter.

Soldato
This seems like another way of trolling feminists.

Women posting videos of ironing etc and the angry feminist types get irate over it.

Man of Honour
I jokingly said to the wife you should be like a traditional wife and she said what's that? I said that some women beleive that they should be treating their husbands like they did back in the old days such as bringing him his slippers and house coat, making fresh cakes and buns and having dinner on the table when the husband comes home. Her reply was "do you want a divorce"? :eek::D

daz

daz

Soldato
All power to them if that's what they want to do. I personally wouldn't want that in a wife - I really like the fact my wife has a good career that is incredibly challenging.

Soldato
We have 2 kids and I currently am the only one earning. It's doable, you just have to make cut backs, like only 1 holiday a year (though at the moment that's unlikely! :D), no fancy sports car, etc... I'm still able to overpay mortgage and save some money (£100 quid here and there), but very little luxuries other than that. Frivolous spending has to be cut back, and you do think "do I really need this?".

That said, my wife is itching to get back to work, and hope that she can find a part-time local job rather than have to commute into London every day. And I don't want her to be a housewife, she had a successful career, and is great at her job, but she made the choice to be more homely over the last few years, which is fine we were in a position to do that but you do have to make sacrifices, even on large salaries..
I have quite a few friends following this model. When they've had children the mother has chosen to stay at home for their early years and then plans to go back part time (and eventually full time) when cirumstances allow. Seems like a good balance to me.

I find the #Tradwife thing very weird though, it's more the whole submission part and effectivly pandering to your husband and desperatley seeking his superior approval (of course that's just how it comes accross to me). My Mum worked until my Mum and Dad had children and then she gave up work and was effectively a housewife from then. It was a mutual decision but Mum was never subserviant. Dad has his day job and she had hers which was always considered of equal value. They were always an equal partnership (though she always managed the money and was a cracking gardner so Dad got to help out under supervision :D), all decisions were equally made between them both. Maybe thats why I find the #Tradwife thing so bizarre.

Any man that wants a #Tradwife wouldn't be interested in me for sure. I'm all about the equal partnership. That said if a #Tradwife and her/his partner are happy with the situation then it's really none of my business :)

Associate
I have quite a few friends following this model. When they've had children the mother has chosen to stay at home for their early years and then plans to go back part time (and eventually full time) when cirumstances allow. Seems like a good balance to me.

I find the #Tradwife thing very weird though, it's more the whole submission part and effectivly pandering to your husband and desperatley seeking his superior approval (of course that's just how it comes accross to me). My Mum worked until my Mum and Dad had children and then she gave up work and was effectively a housewife from then. It was a mutual decision but Mum was never subserviant. Dad has his day job and she had hers which was always considered of equal value. They were always an equal partnership (though she always managed the money and was a cracking gardner so Dad got to help out under supervision :D), all decisions were equally made between them both. Maybe thats why I find the #Tradwife thing so bizarre.

Any man that wants a #Tradwife wouldn't be interested in me for sure. I'm all about the equal partnership. That said if a #Tradwife and her/his partner are happy with the situation then it's really none of my business :)

Yeah, the whole overt subservient thing is weird, although some couples will naturally be like that. In the case of this movement it's just exaggerated for effect. Everything gets so polarised these days, so you get feminists criticising women for staying at home to look after the kids, then you get this counter movement which swings to the polar opposite. In real life, most people will find a sensible compromise.

Back
Top Bottom