Transfering emails from BT to Gmail?

I've used Fasthosts for perhaps 2 decades and it's a tenner a year. You want a domain provider which does catch-all forwarding which effectively gives you an infinite number of email addresses.

Cheers.

I'll hold my hand up and admit it's not something I'd given any thought to prior to ditching BT. I'd never looked into it, assuming it was something that cost a fair few quid and came packaged with other services, so never bothered to look.

I assume you choose a domain name for however long suits your needs, then associate their email package with it and forward your mail on to wherever suits. so you end up with [email protected]...B,C,[email protected]. Though on the site above it looks like for the cheapest package you are limited to 2 email addresses.

I assume you choose a domain name for however long suits your needs, then associate their email package with it and forward your mail on to wherever suits. so you end up with [email protected]...B,C,[email protected]. Though on the site above it looks like for the cheapest package you are limited to 2 email addresses.

Not at all. I have my own domain and have catch-all forwarding enabled, with all email being forwarded on elsewhere - in my case GMail. So if someone sends an email to [email protected], it is forwarded to my gmail account and if someone sends an email to [email protected] it is forwarded to the same gmail account. For instance, my account with OCUK uses a name unique to OCUK. This means I can keep track of everything and selectively block addresses that have been targetted by spammers. But I could set the forwarding to go to anywhere - BT, Outlook.com, anywhere.

For the original post , I would also/have downloaded large quantities of older ISP emails to a local folder, which gives much faster searching of those emails(local ssd), than keeping them on the server, and using IMAP, obviously, this then works offline too.
Searching is more flexibile too, if you have an outlook server, than thunderbird I currently use.

Not at all. I have my own domain and have catch-all forwarding enabled, with all email being forwarded on elsewhere
How do you deal with replying from the correct account ? otherwise like I saw recently someone rejected a reply because it was from an unauthenticated address.
If you have your ownd domain do you miss out on any google 'smarts' that might be spotting malicious content.

What's nice to know?
I think it was a bit of sarcasm aimed at my "I have no understanding" post.

We do get this a bit. Folk like myself who are novices really, or who only ask questions when they are in trouble or need to know how to do something. There's this under-current of "Doh!..how do you not know that?"

I know you can hit the "Google-button" and research stuff for yourself, but there's tons of folk on here who very knowledgeable who will point you in the right direction very quickly.

I've still wouldn't know how to set it up, or what product to ask for once you've splashed on your own domain name?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom