Transferring an SSD?

Associate
Hi

I have ordered a new pc from OCers. But I'm going to use my own ssd a fairly new Samsung 850 evo. What would be the best way to transfer this into the new pc. It has Windows 10 installed on it currently.
My key/disc is a Windows 7 which got the 10 for free.

I know it's not just plug and play due to the mobo drivers etc just wondering what steps I should take it get this working.

Associate
OP
Hi kit yes a full retail key of Windows 7.
As it's currently in use in my own pc wpuld it be best to format the drive and then install when in the new pc or could I simply do a fresh install whilein this current pc and the plug it into the new system? Just worried about mobo or booting issues.

Soldato
Just done this the other week for my father in law and it went perfectly. You just need sysprep your drive before physically moving to the new hardware.
He was using Windows 7 Pro which was "upgraded" to Win10 Pro for free when they were rolling (forcing) that on people way back when. After sysprep and moving to the new machine, it re-activated fine..... The most important thing to do before everything is to ensure you are logging in with a Microsoft Account.... As in, make sure you are not logging into Windows 10 with a local account, must be a Microsoft sync'd online account you are using as this is where your license key information is sync'd to and retained. That way, when existing windows install goes into new machine on the existing disk, when you sign in it will sync your data from your Microsoft account online.

Sysprep is beyond simple - https://www.petri.com/using-syspre-windows-10

If you are really paranoid and want to ensure you have backed up your system first then have a look at Disk2VHD or CloneZilla. You can take a full image of your machine using these tools depending what suits best before sysprepping and moving your disk.

Soldato
If you're using Windows 10 you can most of the time just put the drive in, the first boot will be longer but it will work.

I put a drive in that had Windows 10 installed on a Z68 motherboard into a system with a Z270 board and it booted fine.

Associate
If you're using Windows 10 you can most of the time just put the drive in, the first boot will be longer but it will work.

I put a drive in that had Windows 10 installed on a Z68 motherboard into a system with a Z270 board and it booted fine.

If I did this, is there a possibly of damaging the mobo? Would be from an old Asus p8p67 to a Gigabyte am4 board. Im in the same boat here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom