Transformer

Associate
So New Year and time to get focused. Would value advice along the way in helping me to achieve my goals, speaking of which that's a good place to start -

2017 goals:
- Build lean muscle
- No injuries, including burning out
- Go from c19% bf to c10% bf

So largely a vanity project ;)

For reference I'm 5'8" and 13st.

Other objectives:
- Improve overall flexibility and mobility, especially shoulders and hips
- Get back some ability in basic gymnastic movements - ring transitions, levers, handstand, L-seats

Equipment:
I'll be largely training at home 3-4 times a week unless I work away and use whatever gym I can find or have to improvise with TRX/ bands etc.

At home I have a pair of Bowflex 90lb dumbells, a pull up bar, adjustable rings, pair of paralettes, two 12kg kettle bells and a range of resistance bands. I'll be buying a folding bench shortly when I can find one that folds flat enough to stow away under/ behind large sofa.

Kick off routine:
To share my thinking first - I've just finished GVT which was a shock to a system which has never been able to handle volume. The trick now i believe is to get the mix right between workout volume/ intensity and workout frequency. In the past when I've tried to ramp this up I've just gotten waaay too sore to keep up any kind of regular frequency, and given up. I'm also nursing a niggling sore elbow/ shoulder which mobility work is helping but is also something I want to avoid antagonising and slowing longer term progress.

So, my approach is to work at a higher rep range initially (definitely my weakness), avoid working to rep failure, and slowly add weight until the rep range is unsustainable and week by week move from 3-4 sets x 20 reps per compound all the way down to about 6 reps per (at this point maybe increase the sets to up the volume).

Each workout will be full body and probably look like -
1. DB squats
2. DB bent over row
3. DB bench press
4. DB military press
At 3-4 sets

Plus 1-2 sets of additional work - from a list of
- DB RDL
- Pull ups
- Ring dips
- Bro curls
- Walking lunges
- a Loaded carries

Not every workout! Distribute the above into the 3-4 workouts across the week.

Diet:
First thing to say is im a vegetarian, so most of my protein comes from eggs, dairy, beans, nuts, pulses.
Typical daily diet is something like -
Breakfast - Granola and milk plus high protein yoghurt
Lunch - Pulse, avacado and salad. Another high protein yoghurt
Evening meal - something like omelette or a home made bean burger with as many green vegetables as I can fit on the plate
Snacking is pretty limited but largely on things like seeds or unsalted non roasted nuts, or raw veg.

Supplement wise it's pretty basic - protein shakes added pre and post workout, max strength fish oil, glucosamine and chondroitin.

Non training days I do a bit of tabata low impact stuff in the morning, with some mobility and band work using Starretts shoulder and hip movements.

I think that the initial cycle will last 8-12 weeks and then I'll judge what to do next based on progress etc.

Comments and advice welcome!

Associate
Good luck mate. I thought the GVT cycle was impressive (particularly the squats) but now even more so doing it on a vegetarian diet.

Do you find it difficult hitting your protein intake?

Associate
OP
Not really, I tend to manage 150g per day, although that would make me shy of the 1g per pound of body weight that some use as a rule of thumb (at 180 lbs on the scale).

Admittedly it would be more difficult without 20g 'yoghurts' (quark) and whey powder - not impossible but harder to do at lower calories.

Associate
OP
I've done 2 sessions so far - last Friday and Sunday - all the compounds at 20 reps for 3 sets and then some accessory work.

All I can say is that I think I prefer 10x10 reps on squats vs 20 reps per set - old skool = new pain! I can see why no-one wants to do 15-20 reps on lower body anymore which used to be the prescription when I started lifting.

Soldato
Urgghh 20 reps! That's heroic stuff.

Bulgarian Split Squats will be good with just DBs and also will work flexibility and mobility. Plus they sting like a mutha...

Back
Top Bottom