Transport for Work

Associate
A query for all you car / legal guys out there.

I have a desk based job, to which I have been In a single location for the last 3 1/2 years, to which I now only run 1 car which I share with my wife who drops me off at work every morning. Far cheaper.

My company has merged with another organisation 30 miles away, for which I will need to visit on a fairly regular basis for meetings etc.

I have raised the issue with my manager that I will find it difficult to attend these meetings, as I do not have access to a car during the day, to which I was given the following advise.

"You'll probably have to buy a car, or opt into the companies lease car scheme".

I find it difficult to understand why it should be at my expense that I have to either buy a car, or spend money out of my pocket each month on the lease of a car, to use for business purposes.

Can anyone give me advise on where I stand with this? am I just been ackward? Is there a legal standpoint I could take?

I would also like to point out that my contract of employment does not state I need a car, but only that I should hold a full drivers licence, and that If I use a personal car for business use, it should be insured as such in order to claim expenses.

This is becoming very concerning for me, and I'm becoming underpressure at work, and advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
I'd get studying your contract's fineprint. If it doesn't state needing to go to other sites, then you can comfortably tell them to go swivel. Did you have to sign a new contract/renewal when the companies merged?

Associate
OP
Are you sure theres no obligation?

Surely if they want me to regular travel to another site, then they will have to foot the cost for that?

Why should I be penalised for my company essential moving head office?

Soldato
They can't force you to buy a car if the only reason you need it would be to travel to another office during company time :confused:

At my work I have pool cars and other company cars which I use during the daytime, failing that they'll rent me a car from enterprise :)

I'd sit down and talk to your boss about it. "Probably having to buy a car" is going to be a massive expensive on your part :p

Plus using your car for work would mean having to be covered on your insurance for work which doesn't help insurance quotes.

Man of Honour
Goumet said:
Are you sure theres no obligation?

Surely if they want me to regular travel to another site, then they will have to foot the cost for that?

They do - they'll pay your fuel cost, or allow you to participate in a subsidised leasing scheme.

Why should I be penalised for my company essential moving head office?

Becuase thats life.

Associate
paradigm said:
I'd get studying your contract's fineprint. If it doesn't state needing to go to other sites, then you can comfortably tell them to go swivel. Did you have to sign a new contract/renewal when the companies merged?

If you start that game they could then amend your contract to include travelling to other sites to which you will be asked to sign... if you dont sign it then its time for a new job.

Soldato
Well technically, you're permanent place of work is still the same place - but they're asking you to attend another site on occassion.

It will depend what is written into your contract as to how this affects you.

It might read - "You may be required to travel to other sites, for which you will have to provide your own transport".

If this is the case, then they've got you over a barrel really. If it doesn't explicitly state that you may be needed to travel to other sites, then you may have some grounds for a case. Have you tried your local CAB?

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
They do - they'll pay your fuel cost, or allow you to participate in a subsidised leasing scheme.

He won't be covered on his insurance for using his car for work. My company WON'T let me use my car at all.

P.S - Obviously unless he gets business cover, but that's pointless for "occassional use"

Associate
OP
The other funny for this is the company is also trying to push a car sharing scheme, and a corperate and social responsibily policy on cutting polution in the environment etc. ROFLMAO

Even If I buy and old banger, its gonna cost be about a Grand, plus insurance, and fuel 2 and from work etc.

Gotta work on £2K for the first Year, that can't be right can it?

Soldato
TripleT said:
He won't be covered on his insurance for using his car for work. My company WON'T let me use my car at all.

P.S - Obviously unless he gets business cover, but that's pointless for "occassional use"

Nationwide added Business Class 1 cover to my insurance for no extra charge...

For Class 1, insurers don't generally charge that much, if anything.

Soldato
As mentioned - just check your contract. Most companies these days do put a clause in about you may need to work at another premises though, so it depends if they have said this will be at their cost or yours.

No point asking for more opionions - its all in your contract (or should be) in black and white.

Associate
OP
Just hunted my contract out, and under place of work it states:-

"You will initially be emplayed with the department at ********, but as a term of your employment you may be required to work at, or from, and location from which the company carries out it business"

Altough no means of transport it mentioned. or anything about transport at all?

Does this bring anything new to the table?

Soldato
TripleT said:
At my work I have pool cars and other company cars which I use during the daytime, failing that they'll rent me a car from enterprise :)

same here, except they won't rent cars so when its busy i have been able to borrow directors cars before :p

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
We either use one of the vans, one of the managers cars, or hire one when we need to do anything off site.

Got a nice hire car to go up to MS in a couple of weeks as a manager is coming with me :) I say nice, last time it was a brand new 320d auto.

Soldato
Goumet said:
Just hunted my contract out, and under place of work it states:-

"You will initially be emplayed with the department at ********, but as a term of your employment you may be required to work at, or from, and location from which the company carries out it business"

Altough no means of transport it mentioned. or anything about transport at all?

Does this bring anything new to the table?

By that it is clearly stating you could be required to work at other depots i am afraid.

Out of decency a lot of compnies provide pool cars, but if you say you cant do it i think they will either 1, tell you you are in breach of contract and tell you to empty your desk, or at most give you 6 weeks notice of terminating your contract bud. :(
I have a feeling you will be needing a car, although if you knew which days you where going to need the car, couldnt you arrange to take the missus to work?
I personally dont think you would need business cover as technically if you have SDP & comute you should be fine, as you are comuting to your work, but i am no legal expert, but you are just travelling to your work i would have though :confused: its not like you are carrying goods for them.

Associate
I dont have a clue to be honest but at a guess if he goes straight there its personal mileage but if he goes from one place of work to another it would count as business and require an insurance amendment?

Back
Top Bottom