Trialling a four day working week

I do 30 hrs mon to thu , did this after losing the plot (never really got it back) and help from occupational health
the extra weekend day makes a massive difference, i hear the complaints from my workmates when they have to do a long Friday (sometimes its midday they leave when no work)
it means you can have a day for any life admin needed ,dental, docs ect and just a better work /life balance

I work a 4 day week and the shifts are under 11 hours and I love it, the extra day off makes all the difference.

Some "weeks" I work 8 shifts consecutively but wind up with a 6 day long weekend.

I can't say I ever feel that I need the first day to recover, what jobs are you doing that require that, working down the pit?

Don't forget this is a boomer forum.

The problem IMO will be people maintaining that 100% productivty over time instead of slacking off
All evidence suggests productivity increases if you care to look rather than relying on your opinion.

At least three days off is the way to go. It's a far better work/life balance and is also better for employers productivity wise.

It also reduces time off due to work based stress, illness and burnout.

E: When talking to people about this the only ones I find that have an issue with it are those that don't look at the facts and/or have very little going on outside of their work life. Which is sad.

Last edited:
All evidence suggests productivity increases if you care to look rather than relying on your opinion.

At least three days off is the way to go. It's a far better work/life balance and is also better for employers productivity wise.

It also reduces time off due to work based stress, illness and burnout.

E: When talking to people about this the only ones I find that have an issue with it are those that don't look at the facts and/or have very little going on outside of their work life. Which is sad.
I think it is generally people in output based jobs (output not outcome!) E.g. widget makers. A days lost work is a days lost widget production.

Although I had a friend who used to perform time in motion studies at Motorola and he reckoned no matter what they did, the chaps on the line were expert at hitting the same output number no matter what. New machine? Still 50 units. New rota system to relieve fatigue? Still 50 units. Lol. British people things.

I’ve been doing 4x10hr weeks Mon to Thurs for about 13 years. Love having 3 day weekends
When I worked 4 shifts - 3x9 hours and 1x7.5, I used to work every other weekend. Sundays always being the 7.5 hours. Dropped my ex at his work as buses didn't start running to about 9am (too late for him) then stopped off at McDs for a double sausage and egg McMuffin meal about halfway from his work and mine. Parked on the car park which is now the land where Leeds Arena now stands, which was free on Sundays.

Went on the bus other days of the week as car parking in Leeds is a complete rip off and much cheaper to use the bus.

I’ve worked a four-day week (four 10-hour days) for the last four years.

It was just me on that schedule and the rest of the company (three to five other staff) were on a normal five-day week.

We’ve just switched to trialling a nine-day fortnight; with two people taking a Friday off one week, then the other two taking the Friday off the next week.

So neither scenario is exactly like the OPs, but I can answer any specific questions if it helps.

Been doing 3.5 day weeks since 2016. Although I normally work 10-15 hours on those days in. It is nice having half the year off although I do maybe 20-24 days overtime in a year. I also work every second weekend but in a way that is nice as I get to do the school run etc.

I honestly cannot remember what an 8 hour shift feels like. It would be over before it even got started!

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that, as one of the managers was dead against the ideas of a 4-day week as, and I quote, "I'm already bored on a 2 day weekend, why would I want another day off?!".

Fair enough, it's their opinion but I thought it was tragically sad that they had nothing outside of work.

Funny you should mention that, as one of the managers was dead against the ideas of a 4-day week as, and I quote, "I'm already bored on a 2 day weekend, why would I want another day off?!".

Fair enough, it's their opinion but I thought it was tragically sad that they had nothing outside of work.
Yeah this is mind boggling, I can find plenty of things to do outside of work.

Back
Top Bottom