Triopd recommendation.

Associate
I have just bought a Nikon 400mm f2.8 VR II lens and want a good sturdy, robust and lightweight triopd. i don't mind spending a few quid to get a good one so what would you recommend please.

Soldato
I have a Sirui T-025X carbon fibre tripod, although that particular model is probably too small for a big beast like the 400 2.8 (I use it for rangefinders)...it's very well made, sturdy and lightweight. If I was in the market for another tripod I'd definitely go with the same brand.

Associate
I have been using a Redsnapper for a long while, really robust and has stood up to almost daily abuse. Recently added a Suiri 40X Ball head on top of it, perfect for my landscape needs.

Currently holds Canon 7d Mk2 With Battery Grip plus Tamron 150-600mm without a wobble.

Red Snapper Tripod
Suri 40X Ball Head

Regards
Geoff

Associate
For a Nikon 400mm f2.8 there isn't really a lightweight tripod option, in my opinion, plus for optimal use you probably want to consider getting a gimbal mount. What are you planning to use that lens for ? If it's sports you might get away with a monopod ...

Soldato
Without a doubt I'd go for one of these:

Really Right Stuff : 3 series
Gitzo GT3542LS Series 3 6X Systematic Tripod (or bigger if you like)

I went for the Gitzo as they had it in stock at a local store but in terms of quality I'd say either are the best.

Do you have a head already?

Associate

I went for the Gitzo as they had it in stock at a local store but in terms of quality I'd say either are the best.

That's what I use with my Nikon super telephotos, plus a Wimberley gimbal. Not the cheapest combo .... but no doubting the quality and it'll last a lifetime !

Caporegime

This. Even then I would consider the Gitzo 5 series. I have the Gitzo 3531S. If you can get away with th 3 section tripod it is stronger and lighter. If you need longer then the 5 series is probably a good idea.

For the 400mm you will want a decent gimbal head. Wimberly are renowned.

Associate
OP

I know someone who is selling a Wimberly mk2 for £400 like new.

And

And

Associate
I would recommend Gitzo Carbon Fibre systematics (3 series up).

Been using a Gitzo 3 series and a 5 series for six years, in combination with Wimberley gimbals or an FLM ballhead, great tripods.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
A Feisol tournament or elite set of carbon fibre legs. I've got a CT-3342 rapid and it happily supports my F5 + 300 f2.8 or my mamiya RZ67 kit both weighing around 4kg. It represented much better value than gitzo with equally superb build quality.

Soldato
I know someone who is selling a Wimberly mk2 for £400 like new.

If it is like new that's not a bad price, they've gone up in price recently and new over £600 new.

I tried quite a few before getting one and the Wimberly was the best imo... put it on a Gitzo and it will last a lifetime :)

Soldato
Another vote for Gitzo, I have one I bought years ago and it has been perfect, in my experience, tripods are very much a "buy cheap, buy twice" item.

I had a Gitzo monopod that I didn't use much and the other advantage of Gitzo is they hold value well, I only lost 20% when I sold it on.

Associate
OP
Thanks, i just bought a Gitzo Carbon Fibre model from the bay. I made an offer of £230 which was £40.00 cheaper that the buy it now and the seller accepted it. Also bought a Lensmaster RH-2 Gimbal Head so im sorted.

Back
Top Bottom