Tripod

Soldato
Well, basically I'm looking for a sturdy tripod for my 400d, I like the looks of the Velbon range and a few Manfrotto ones. What is the main differences between different tripods apart from expended length they are really vary in price.
I'm looking at getting the Velbon CX-540 or the Manfrotto 785B Modo Maxi.

Man of Honour
Justin said:
What is the main differences between different tripods apart from expended length they are really vary in price.
There are plenty of features other than maximum height which differentiate between tripods:

Horizontal centre column mounting - great for macros & table top shots.

Minimum height - in conjunction with the above, do the legs splay enough to get close to the ground

Maximum supported weight - will the tripod collapse when you upgrade to a big L prime?

Material - carbon fibre can shave 30% off the weight of the tripod, might be important if you're hiking with it. (or like me you want the bragging rights!)

Associate
Justin said:
I'm looking at getting the Velbon CX-540 or the Manfrotto 785B Modo Maxi.

TBH i wouldnt get either of them, theyre both ery cheap and plasticky.

have a look at the manfrotto 725b, its made of metal and has a decent ball and socket head. there is a similar version with a pan and tilt if you prefer.

can be picked up for about £70.

Soldato
Do the lower end 190's come in at under £70 with a basic head? Not sure about new, but maybe s/h.

I'd look at one of those tbh. Nice and sturdy, and quite light.

Don't scrimp:

Tripod01.jpg

;)

Back
Top Bottom