Trouble shooting home network problems

Associate
Just need a plan of attack as to where best to start.

I have Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro (older square shaped version) and a fairly old Thompson (582n) plusnet box with the wifi disabled.

I'm getting occasional dropouts on the wifi and my chromecast and humax box (both on the wifi) don't work at all. If I reset the chomecast I can see it, but once setup is complete and it re-joins my network I can't see it or cast to it. My humax box won't connect to it anymore either, though it is rubbish so I would just say that was it's own problem! Nothing has changed recently, no firmware updates exist for the router and as my Unifi is pretty old firmware updates ended for that quite a while ago. I have reset the chromecast numerous times and can't get it to work, equally my humax box is struggling to see or connect to the wifi too. I have had the Unifi for 4 years and it was second hand when I got it, the router is easily just as old. The chromecast is the newer version and is 4 months old. I have tried running the chromecast off a USB plug instead of the TV and it's made no difference.

Any suggestions as to where to start would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting complaints regarding no being able to cast netflix! Our phones seem to be working ok on the wifi, though we do occasionaly notice them disconnect for a few mins then come back on again.

Thanks

Dave

Soldato
I have a version 2 chromecast and it's the only device I have ever had which struggles to connect to my home router once it gets further than about 3 meters away. I'm convinced it's susceptible to interference as when I move extend it a few inches away from the back of my amp receiver, it works better. It also regularly drops of the network and is not contactable until doing a combination of rebooting the router and it.

In summary, it's an unreliable device. When it works obviously it's great. I have echoes, smart plugs and a roku which have none of these issues all over the house, all further away than the chromecast as well.

Associate
OP
I have a nuc on the wifi upstairs and a nuc on the wifi next to the chromecast, these both work fine. It's worked fine since I got it in May and the old V1 chromecast it replaced worked fine for 4 years before that. It's just odd that it has stopped all of a sudden with no changes being made.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom