Troubleshooting: updated BIOS in preparation for Ryzen 5000 update, and Windows no longer loads!

Associate
Hi all, I’m a bit stuck here

I have a 2019 AM4 motherboard with a 2600 in it, and have just bought a 5600x as an upgrade. I preemptively flashed the BIOS to prepare, and it was a success.

But now as windows loads I am getting BSOD with error “critical process died”. Windows repair and even reset are not working with message “there was a problem while resetting this PC”. It’s windows 10.

Have I broken my motherboard?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had XMP on but have disabled it and everything else back to factory settings to try and boot.

I’ve managed to find a windows 10usb drive and have done a fresh install on a formatted hard drive. Annoying but at least it seems to work now. I’m going to try and get onto windows 11 now.

Soldato
You'll probably find your old processor wasnt fully supported any longer after updating the bios, a lot of the older AM4 motherboards had to remove older CPU microcodes to make way for the newer chips due to the bios chip being too small, it would help if we new which board it was.

Back
Top Bottom