trying to figure out what I actually need...

Soldato
What I want is:
  • ~3TB fileshare to store media and backups.
  • play the media on potentially two TVs + tablet, but 99% will only be one of these at a time
  • looking to use xbmc/plex/serviio with TVs
  • torrents/nzb stuff handled centrally

I have an a/v amp (dlna compatible) connected to the main tv. Secondary tv is on its own atm. Need something running xbmc (or other media client) to connect to the tvs.

At first thought plain NAS would be ok, but have just seen the HP n54l deal (too late, obviously) and now looking at the g8 versions - have seen g8 g1610t for 150 quid with cashback.

Due to the fileshare size I desire I was thinking a 4bay would be best - 2x3tb in raid for now, leaving 2 bays for expansion.

I wondered whether it would be a waste to put a microserver in a cupboard when it could be next to a telly and running xbmc itself, but when I look at 4bay NAS units, they're more expensive than the hp g8 anyway...

So I wondered if someone could help bring me out of this fog of confusion!

Caporegime
I have a Synology DS214 and it's not got much poke for dealing with NZBs etc. So if I were doing it again I'd probably get a Gen8 microserver and throw an SSD in the optical bay as the boot volume for FreeNAS or just shove Xpenology on there because the Synology OS is actually pretty decent for a consumer NAS.

Leave playback duties to any number of cheap boxes that run Windows, Android, can be flashed to run XBMC etc.

Associate
I would strongly recommend the n54L/gen8 cheap and support WOL.

Install Linux & Plex.
Install transmissionbt and Flexget, and give me a shout I can give you my flexget configs and scripts.

Soldato
OP
oh no, more choices! :D Didn't know about flexget! I was using sickbeard before. Leaning towards xpenology rather than a linux distro atm.

As for playback boxes, amazon fire tv, nuc? Don't wan't any sluggishness that seen some talk about with rPis

Last edited:
Associate
Something worth thinking about with the Gen8 is the noise when non HP disks are installed.

The fans go mental is they cannot read the HD temp from the stock drives as they don't have the HP firmware installed (obviously)

Back
Top Bottom