Trying to resurrect a Dell Dimension C521

Soldato
Hello all,

This is frustrating. Managed to get it to boot BUT ONLY if I had windows DVD in the DVD drive. The error message said seek error diskette 0. I put the HDD in another computer and it read ok. The is is windows 7 and I wanted to change to windows 10

Anyway after fiddling I got it to boot and the power button was green showing all was ok.

Downloaded win 10 and set it to upgrade. Came back and screen was dead.

Now can't get pc to boot. No error message, no beeps, nothing! Power light is amber which the manual says is a POST error. But the 4 error indication lights are off. Disconnecting drives and taking out the memory doesn't seem to generate error messages. Don't understand at all!!

Any comments or suggestions. Not used to old Dell pcs!!!!

Soldato
Not the most conventional of troubleshooting solutions - but from your post your HDD maybe a contributing factor.

Have you tried disconnecting the drive from the motherboard (SATA cable and power) and tested to see if you can get it to post?

*I would also consider changing the CR-2032 battery, if 5+ years, - and while we're discussing byproduct CMOS clearance - i would try this too.

Lots of other things to try - but CMOS reset+CR-2032 change (if to hand) and disconnecting the HDD would be quick test to rule them out.

Additional: Full spec and list of things you've tried?

Other quick tests - some not so quick:
  • 1 stick - alternating slots and memory
  • Different PSU if possible - although depending on age of Dell unit may not be that simple.
  • Check all leads - and re-seat, plus components (always surprising how often this works) - even kettle lead.
  • Disconnect all none essential devices from motherboard (even cables) - use onbaord GFX of you have it - and see if it posts
  • Change motherboard battery
  • If using an extension - mainline into the wall or try a different quality unit.
  • There's other tests but it's Friday night and beer buzz...
Best of luck.

Soldato
OP
The problem seems to be in the DELL BIOS setup. There is NO floppy but the start up list always contains it and it cannot be deleted!

I obviously set up the BIOS to something the PC didn't like and once I had reset it using the shorting pins it rebooted OK.

Mel

Soldato
OP
I have set the floppy to "non-boot" and put it at the bottom of the boot list BUT I still get a message the Diskette 0 wont boot (seek error) and have to press F1 to continue. How do I resolve this bit of Dell stupidity please?

Thanks, Mel

Soldato
I have set the floppy to "non-boot" and put it at the bottom of the boot list BUT I still get a message the Diskette 0 wont boot (seek error) and have to press F1 to continue. How do I resolve this bit of Dell stupidity please?l
Have you gone back into the BIOS to check that it's saved/remembered the setting/boot order?

If the CMOS battery is failing it could be that the boot order is resetting to defaults once it's been off for a while.

Soldato
OP
It is keeping its settings. Although there isn't a floppy it says there is and cannot be deleted.

I think the solution is to set the floppy as the last boot device - after HDD and CD Rom and then it does not show up !!

Mel

Soldato
I think the solution is to set the floppy as the last boot device - after HDD and CD Rom and then it does not show up !!
Yes - I wrongly assumed you had amended the boot order. (The battery change was worthwhile if it hadn't been changed in a few years.)

You're sorted?

Soldato
OP
You're sorted?

Yes - I had played with the boot order and always put the floppy at the bottom with no boot set. Even though it isn't there it appears BUT if I set it as the last boot device all is OK! It should only be called if the HDD and CD drive fail.

Have ordered an SSD from OCUK for delivery tomorrow and will clone the old 160GB HDD to that and see if that improves boot time etc. Macrium Free is loaded ready.

Have also bought for a few £s another 2GB memory stick from fleaB! This will be grandchilds PC when they come!

Soldato
OP
Well the SSD arrived, duly cloned, inserted - PC did not recognise!!!

Searched web - somebody said they had put an SSD in place of DVD Writer - recognised!!

So swapped connections - new SSD plugged in to DVD Sata cable, DVD in ex HDD Sata slot - VOILA - booted to SSD - cannot understand that?? So now running with cloned SSD and DVD working.

All I am waiting for now is the extra 2GB memory stick (used / tested / fleaB).

What will I use the PC for - not sure but it was a good challenge ….

Mel

Back
Top Bottom