Trying to set up a website. Help please.

Associate
I have just got a few domains and some web hosting with vidahost. I do not know what I am doing at all. I have googled and downloaded a pretend server program (xampp). I am trying to follow some online tutorials but I am a bit out of my depth.

Does anyone have some tips for setting up a simple website that just informs people of a service with a few click through pages and an email section?

I am trying to use Joomla but it is a bit confusing. I am not rushing to a deadline though I have a few months to do this. Should I just pay someone to do it?

1: Set the nameserver in the control panel where you obtained the domain names from to the Vidahost provided nameserver. (may take a day or so to see anything) (you probably received the nameserver in an email on welcome)
2: Create domain within the Vidahost cpanel. (Navigate to cpanel via vidahost control panel)
3: Most hosting services offer a free install of popular CMS system pre built into the cpanel (down the bottom)

Optional --
4: Create access to the domain with FTP (or preferred method) in the cpanel.
5: Manually install preferred CMS by following their instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks Tidyworks. I have just bought a joomla book so I will read through that. I got the domain through vidahost so that should be set up ok. I just need to build my website from scratch. I am looking at some templates to use.

Well an update. I have a template up and running. I now need to change all of the content if I can find it in the back end. Luckily I am not running to a deadline.

If you have a few hundred pounds available, I honestly would pay someone to do it for you. They'll be able to extend it in the future and if it goes wrong, will be there to fix it for you.

I was in a similar position and chose Joomla. I learnt and created a proof of concept website within a week. Nothing fancy, purchased a template with sample data. Then overwrite the sample data with data relevant for our purpose. Steep learning curve using trial and error but with Joomla there is quite a lot of help from videos from FAQs from the hosting centre and template provider. I spent about £150 (templates and hosting) but it was worth it in the end.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy the process.

I spent about the same. I had problems with getting the template with the sample data to install. Vidahost have been excellent with there support and sorted all that out for me. Now all I have to do is change all the data.
I will put the link up in here and everyone can see what they think.

Getting started with a CMS might make it easier for you.

Other than Joomla you could always try Wordpress.

There are usually plenty of themes available for CMS websites which allow you to get the look you need.

I am gettting there with changing the menu's around and making new articles that are linked into them. My problem at the moment is finding where the 'logo' section is to change that. I know where the logo.png is so I could just save over that but it would be nice knowing where it is.

I dont know what you have got but in wordpress have a look in the css as well as some of the logos are controlled from in there.
if not you should be able to change it from the admin panel of your theme

Back
Top Bottom