Trying to trade in a computer with an OEM licence at my 'high street pawn shop'

Associate
Good evening everybody and hopefully you can help

I have a few computers that I no longer want in the house and I wanted to trade them in to my local high street pawn shop so that I can exchange them for something I'm more likely going to use

these computers initially came with Windows 7 licences but I've reinstalled Windows 10 and the licence keys from Windows 7 have worked fine on these machines and that they are activated without any issues at all

The pawnshop in question that should not be named but rhymes with 'sex' would refuse to take my computer's due to the windows 10 licences on them.

I was told that even though the licences are genuine that the PCs are activated and the keys have been identified as OEM licences that have been tied to the uefi of the motherboard they are unable to accept these items due to these licence keys

They're giving me a story saying that they are unable to accept these keys because they will be liable for fines from Microsoft if they were to resell these computers with the keys included. I would like to think I am fairly it savvy but in no means would I class myself as a Microsoft licensing guru.

am I right in thinking that an OEM licence can be resold with the PC providing it is still tied to the original hardware that the licence was procured for? my understanding of OEM has always been that the licence procured is just for that hardware for the cradle-to-grave duration of that specific hardware

Do you think I am being given a load of codswallop?

Man of Honour
Can't you just download a Windows 7 iso and re-install Windows 7 on them using the proper keys? It sounds like a load of rubbish to me though. The license will be tied to the motherboard in the pc so as long as it's the correct key and the correct version of windows (home, pro, etc) what is the problem? Microsoft let everybody upgrade from Windows 7 and 8 for free so what the hell are they on about? Wouldn't you get more money selling them on Gumtree?

Associate
OP
would they buy them if you used the recovery discs/reinstalled win 7?
A good question, I asked and the answer was no. With eol on windows 7 coming Jan 2020 I can kind of understand that.

I cannot see any real justification for their reasons, I can't see what I'm missing.

If they wont accept them, then I can respect that, I just feel that the reason they are giving me is a load of doo-doo. I don't see why they are unable to resell the computer providing the OEM key remains with the hardware it is tied to.

Associate
OP
Can't you just download a Windows 7 iso and re-install Windows 7 on them using the proper keys? It sounds like a load of rubbish to me though. The license will be tied to the motherboard in the pc so as long as it's the correct key and the correct version of windows (home, pro, etc) what is the problem? Microsoft let everybody upgrade from Windows 7 and 8 for free so what the hell are they on about? Wouldn't you get more money selling them on Gumtree?
I would, and could - but I've eyed up something a D would prefer the convinence of not having people to my house trying to lowball me. :)

Soldato
A good question, I asked and the answer was no. With eol on windows 7 coming Jan 2020 I can kind of understand that.

I cannot see any real justification for their reasons, I can't see what I'm missing.

If they wont accept them, then I can respect that, I just feel that the reason they are giving me is a load of doo-doo. I don't see why they are unable to resell the computer providing the OEM key remains with the hardware it is tied to.

maybe they've stopped buying PC's that came with Win7 for that reason, and the fact they now have Win10 is irrelevant?...whatever they say is the rules though, fairly sure they could decline to buy anything for any reason if they felt like it

Associate
OP
maybe they've stopped buying PC's that came with Win7 for that reason, and the fact they now have Win10 is irrelevant?...whatever they say is the rules though, fairly sure they could decline to buy anything for any reason if they felt like it
Indeed, I could kind of accept that instead of hoping they can try and baffle me with licencing! :D

Caporegime
Can't you just flog them on gumtree or some local Facebook group or something? Surely get a better price than some pawn shop too?

Associate
OP
You can get a W10 licence for about £25 from that geek website if that's any help.
You can, but... if they are bound to the legislation refereed to by kaiowas (and I think hes right) they need a Windows 10 COA Sticker AND the original install media to be included with the sale (or a COA and manufacturer recovery partition for pre-builds) for them to be able to resell the item under this legislation.

That high street shop pays quite well for certain things, even above the kinda of prices you see on members market.
They do indeed chap.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't do any business w/ them. I thought it was just the local shop that was staffed by rip-off idiots but going by several forums it seems to be part of their national recruiting strategy.

Soldato
You're not wrong in your thinking at all, OEM licences are tied to the hardware of the machine. They're absolutely fine to resell them on as long as they don't significantly change the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom