Tumble Dryer Recommendations

Associate
I'm looking to buy a Tumble Dryer. After reading threads on here and various articles, in the long run it seems to be better to go for a Heat Pump Tumble Dryer because they are cheaper to run.
With a household of 4 I suspect it will be well used most/every other day throughout Autumn/Winter.

We've currently got a Samsung EcoBubble(?) 9KG Washing machine, so thought it would be good to try and match them up as they will sit next to each other.
I've looked around on AO, Currys, JL (sorry if I'm not allowed to mention these retailers?) and there seems to be quite a variety on Heat Pump models available from Samsung @ 9kg...

Is there a particular feature I should be going for on these? they all seem to be the same load/energy efficiency...

EG: DV90M5000IW vs DV90T5240AW - Is one just a newer version of the other?

Should I consider another brand/model? anything else to look out for? What make/models have others got that they would recommend? I think my max budget would be £750 unless spending more would get me something much better or offers an option/feature that is really good.

Did you end up buying a heat pump tumble dryer? Is it working as you expceted?

I'm currently look at this https://ao.com/product/wtr88t81gb-bosch-serie-6-heat-pump-tumble-dryer-white-74034-126.aspx

Anybody else have any experience of this make and model?

Soldato
All I’ll say is if you get a Bosch check the settings. I’ve got one and so have family members and they were rubbish at first, even on the most dry setting items came out damp. Until I realised there are sensitivity settings you can access through a combination of button presses - turned the sensitivity up and now it works perfectly.

Mine was a fair bit cheaper than £750 mind.

Soldato
OP
Did you end up buying a heat pump tumble dryer? Is it working as you expceted?

I'm currently look at this https://ao.com/product/wtr88t81gb-bosch-serie-6-heat-pump-tumble-dryer-white-74034-126.aspx

Anybody else have any experience of this make and model?

Bought one yesterday, got delivered today. I spent quite while looking at different models, features and reviews. Ended up getting this one (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...eat-pump-tumble-dryer-white-10146873-pdt.html) because it had all the features I wanted and had good reviews.

We've only used it once, but the Mrs was happy! Put a load in and it came out dry.

I did look at the Bosch's, but was put off with personal previous experience of their washing machines and some of the reviews I read on them.

Caporegime
You know that’s a rebadge Beko but £150 more expensive right?

Most are rebadges especially makes that aren't popular or household names.

Candy own a bunch in the market including Hoover.

I'd be surprised if Bosch isn't a rebadge. Huge con.

I just spent £300 on one and it's perfect. Has WiFi and gives me updates when it hits certain levels of dryness. Iron dry, completely dry and a few others like hang dry.

Clothes coming out perfect nice and fluffy and dry and in less than an hour.

Anyone buying a heat pump needs their head checked. Costs 2-3 times as much and takes 2-3 times as much time and they come out damp.

I bought a hoover off ao.com it's a candy but with 10 years warranty on parts. So worth the extra £50 for that. Plus it looks better and has a few extra features.

Last edited:
Associate
a few days ago we purchased a 8GB Heatpump LG dryer... takes 1 hr 10 mins on a full load, seems really good so far and the clothes doesnt get ridiculously hot so i cant imagine clothes shrinking much, cost about £730

Associate
Most are rebadges especially makes that aren't popular or household names.

Candy own a bunch in the market including Hoover.

I'd be surprised if Bosch isn't a rebadge. Huge con.

I just spent £300 on one and it's perfect. Has WiFi and gives me updates when it hits certain levels of dryness. Iron dry, completely dry and a few others like hang dry.

Clothes coming out perfect nice and fluffy and dry and in less than an hour.

Anyone buying a heat pump needs their head checked. Costs 2-3 times as much and takes 2-3 times as much time and they come out damp.

I bought a hoover off ao.com it's a candy but with 10 years warranty on parts. So worth the extra £50 for that. Plus it looks better and has a few extra features.

which dryer did you buy ?

Soldato

I thought heat pump dryers cost less to run compared to standard dryer?

Caporegime
which dryer did you buy ?

https://ao.com/product/dxoc10tce-hoover-dynamic-next-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-75914-18.aspx

Found it. 10kg so can handle any load. Sensor drying which is what you want stops clothes from shrinking and saves energy. Condenser so no plumbing or pipes. Easy to remove tank. WiFi so can use phone app to pick best programs. It's packed with features for £300. 10 year warranty on parts.

I thought heat pump dryers cost less to run compared to standard dryer?

Yeah so my dryer might cost £15 a year to run Vs £10 on a heat pump.

Yet mine cost £300 Vs £800 on the equivalent heat pump.

Buying heat pump to save money is the dumbest thing you could do. Buy a cheaper dryer that is non heat pump.

Wait for technology to improve then review in 10 years time.

Last edited:
Associate
https://ao.com/product/dxoc10tce-hoover-dynamic-next-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-75914-18.aspx

Found it. 10kg so can handle any load. Sensor drying which is what you want stops clothes from shrinking and saves energy. Condenser so no plumbing or pipes. Easy to remove tank. WiFi so can use phone app to pick best programs. It's packed with features for £300. 10 year warranty on parts.

Yeah so my dryer might cost £15 a year to run Vs £10 on a heat pump.

Yet mine cost £300 Vs £800 on the equivalent heat pump.

Buying heat pump to save money is the dumbest thing you could do. Buy a cheaper dryer that is non heat pump.

Wait for technology to improve then review in 10 years time.

Your maths are a bit off and I would say it really depends on how much you use it because the more you use it the more you save.

The heat pump dryer will use about 1/3 of the electric as the condenser but lets say its 1/2 as much and drying a full load of washing in the condensor dryer uses 2kw/h.

If you use it every day at least once and you consider a unit of electric to be 15p then you are going to save at least 15p for each load. (0.15*365)=£55.00

So by buying the more expensive heat pump dryer you are going to make a direct saving of around £55 a year, if the dryer lasts 10 years then that would be £550 quid saved which is the difference between the cost of the two items. The heat pump dryer takes longer yes but its also probably a little gentler on the clothes. There is probably more to go wrong with the heat pump one though but I would expect it to last a while if It was going to cost me £800!.

Its all horses for courses really and depends what you want to do but I dont think there is much is in.

Caporegime
Your maths are a bit off and I would say it really depends on how much you use it because the more you use it the more you save.

The heat pump dryer will use about 1/3 of the electric as the condenser but lets say its 1/2 as much and drying a full load of washing in the condensor dryer uses 2kw/h.

If you use it every day at least once and you consider a unit of electric to be 15p then you are going to save at least 15p for each load. (0.15*365)=£55.00

So by buying the more expensive heat pump dryer you are going to make a direct saving of around £55 a year, if the dryer lasts 10 years then that would be £550 quid saved which is the difference between the cost of the two items. The heat pump dryer takes longer yes but its also probably a little gentler on the clothes. There is probably more to go wrong with the heat pump one though but I would expect it to last a while if It was going to cost me £800!.

Its all horses for courses really and depends what you want to do but I dont think there is much is in.

We use it maybe once a fortnight. We dry most stuff in the house on racks. If you want to save money don't buy a tumble dryer at all. I've lived here for 4 years and only got one two months ago.

Also mine is situated in the garage where a heat pump is useless.

If my garage was converted then I could consider a heat pump. If we start using it more I'll get a heat pump as by that time the garage will have been converted. Tech will have improved too. I can likely recoup £150 on the dryer too within the next 3-4 years when I sell it on.

Also my kWh price is 12p and I have solar panels. So my usage is extremely low as is my bills. We only use it in peak daylight.

Permabanned
A lot depends on where you are going to put it. Many of them will not work in a cold garage for example. For a cold garage the old fashioned ones are the best. This is because the mechanics of a heat pump damage themselves in very cold conditions - they are designed to work in a warm house. So you need to check if yours is rated to work in an "outhouse".

Caporegime
Not all heat pump tumble dryers are £800 though? Ive seen some around £3-400 mark.

Yes the cheapest ones that won't last or work well.

Anyway the point is that they don't work in a cold garage so completely useless to me.

My condenser is flawless and clothes are dry in a fast time without shrinking. Sensor drying is a must plus the bigger the better 10kg washing machine from Samsung too so need a 10kg dryer. Never buy small load machines they wear out quickly because of women overloading them.

Soldato
OP
Just to update. Mrs is delighted with it. She has used it every day. Each load is taking about 1-1.5 f hours for a full load and it all comes out nice and dry. She's a Hitler for clothes slightly damp, so it must be good!

We got fed up of clothes rails everywhere throughout winter so this solves that.

Agree there's arguments for all 3 types of dryers, but the heatpump dryers seem to (from my research) cause less damp in the house and are better for the clothes.

Back
Top Bottom