Turn on Ubuntu server computer remotely?

Soldato
Hi i have a ubuntu server computer at home and was wondering if there is a way to turn it on remotely when im away from home?

I set up Wake-On-LAN but that only seems to work when im using another computer connected to the same network as my ubuntu server.

Any ideas on getting WOL working remotely?

Soldato
There's a few freeware apps for this on Windows and Linux but crucially you need to port forward UDP port 7 and 9 on your router if not done already. Ideally you'll have a manual IP address on the Linux box and explicitly forward to that

Associate
I use a Raspberry Pi connected to a 240Volt 10A relay, which can be bought for a few pounds found in the rain forest. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer...UTF8&qid=1491308516&sr=1-1&keywords=Pi+relays

Have a look at this Web site http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-and-intuitive-web-interface-for-your-Raspbe/?ALLSTEPS and just replace the LEDs with relays.

You still will have to port forward to your Pi Web page.

You also have to set the BIOS of the PC to Power on after Power failure.

Be careful though, messing with mains is dangerous!!

Soldato
With all due respect (and I love tinkering with both Pi and shocking voltages) WOL over the Internet will literally never need relays and mains voltage.

Who's to say the PC would support wake on power return? OP has already stated that WOL works locally.

If anything, shorting the (5v?) power switch header on the motherboard via relay is an altogether more sensible suggestion and less likely to result in OP dying a horrific electrical death :p

Soldato
OP
There's a few freeware apps for this on Windows and Linux but crucially you need to port forward UDP port 7 and 9 on your router if not done already. Ideally you'll have a manual IP address on the Linux box and explicitly forward to that
ahh ok so once i have port forwarded those, is there a client app on both windows, osx and android that can turn my system on?

Associate
With all due respect (and I love tinkering with both Pi and shocking voltages) WOL over the Internet will literally never need relays and mains voltage.

Who's to say the PC would support wake on power return? OP has already stated that WOL works locally.

If anything, shorting the (5v?) power switch header on the motherboard via relay is an altogether more sensible suggestion and less likely to result in OP dying a horrific electrical death :p

The problem with WOL is that it only works if the PC is shutdown and never powered off. Once Power is removed and returned the WOL won't work. Well the machines I have WOL won't work after power loss! The NIC's forget they are configured to accept WOL packets.

WOL boardcast magic packets are limited to the subnet the machine is sitting on. WOL requires the MAC address and this not routable over the internet. So I'm not sure how you would do it over the Internet, unless you a Raspberry Pi or similar to remotely issue WOL to your machines?

You could use as you say, the switch header on the PC motherboard connected to the GPIO of the Pi to start your machine.

Most PC's BIOS support three return of power options: 1. Stay off, 2. Return to Previous State, 3. Power On.

If want to keep it simple and not use a Pi and relay have look at this http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-5258_HS100.html, it is on sale for about £30 in the UK. But you would still have to set the BIOS Power On option to 3. Power on after power failure on your machine.

Soldato
OP
The problem with WOL is that it only works if the PC is shutdown and never powered off. Once Power is removed and returned the WOL won't work. Well the machines I have WOL won't work after power loss! The NIC's forget they are configured to accept WOL packets.

WOL boardcast magic packets are limited to the subnet the machine is sitting on. WOL requires the MAC address and this not routable over the internet. So I'm not sure how you would do it over the Internet, unless you a Raspberry Pi or similar to remotely issue WOL to your machines?

You could use as you say, the switch header on the PC motherboard connected to the GPIO of the Pi to start your machine.

Most PC's BIOS support three return of power options: 1. Stay off, 2. Return to Previous State, 3. Power On.

If want to keep it simple and not use a Pi and relay have look at this http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-5258_HS100.html, it is on sale for about £30 in the UK. But you would still have to set the BIOS Power On option to 3. Power on after power failure on your machine.
actually no.

on my ubuntu server it remembers the WOL as i have configured it to do so automatically on boot :)

i tested this earlier on by turning it on through WOL, manually turning the machine completely off and then using WOL to turn it back on again

Soldato
OP

Actually raspberry Pi route sounds easy and straightforward to do.

Back
Top Bottom