TV Aerial

Associate
I have moved to a new build house and need to set up my TV, computer, Internet etc. I need a TV aerial to be fitted but am confused about the coax cable installed by the builders. There are two TV wall sockets, one in the living room and one in a bedroom. In the loft the coax cable is then in a loop about 6 feet long. I was expecting to find two coax cables ready to fit to a splitter which would then be connected to the new aerial. But this is one continuous cable. I presume they have connected one TV socket to the cable then run it into the loft. Then left a 6 foot loop there and took it back down to the other TV wall socket.
So is it intended to be cut in the loop so there are two ends to fit into a splitter? Is this the new way or cabling up a new build?

Soldato
I think you're right. Odd way to do it to be sure. In the old days you could have connected a vcr to one socket and a tv to the other to confirm there is continuity

Associate
Yes, it needs cutting, pretty standard thing to do. Consider two separate aerials than a splitter that would probably need a down-lead power supply injector and an amplifier.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that. It would have been helpful if the builders of this new build had left some information about it instead of leaving new occupiers to sort it out. The first aerial fitter said he didn't know what to do so off he went. Waiting now for second fitter. I'll tell him to cut the coax and get on with it.

Soldato
Does seem odd in my house they ran all the coax cables into one place and there were just 5 separate cables there.

As for a splitter, it depends on how strong your signal is, i live in a very strong signal area as the transmitter is less than 5 miles away so i used a passive 5 way splitter and it's been fine. In fact when i was setting it all up i was able to get good signal on my TV without even plugging the coax in, the plugs were just near each other which apparently was enough!

Soldato
Does seem odd in my house they ran all the coax cables into one place and there were just 5 separate cables there.

As for a splitter, it depends on how strong your signal is, i live in a very strong signal area as the transmitter is less than 5 miles away so i used a passive 5 way splitter and it's been fine. In fact when i was setting it all up i was able to get good signal on my TV without even plugging the coax in, the plugs were just near each other which apparently was enough!

When I moved into my house I found a working tv aerial socket but no corresponding aerial in the loft or the roof. Eventually I found the coax in the loft which was pointed vaguely in the direction of the transmitter which is only 3 miles away :D It worked ok except occasionally HD channels would drop out so I installed a proper a aerial eventually.

Back
Top Bottom