TV colour draining out when in full screen mode (in game)

Associate
Hello all,

Recently got a Sony 55" 4k and have my PC hooked up to it for some photo editing and gaming.

The picture normally looks fantastic but when I open any game which goes full screen, all the colour has drained out of the picture, but when I check the TV settings, they are still all the same.

Also, the HDR is off on my PC....

It worked perfect for a few months, I don't know if it's worth mentioning the resolution changes when I open a game

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Associate
It does sound HDR related - the fact of being off on the PC might not mean anything if the TV itself is somehow switching to expect a HDR signal - if it received SDR when in HDR mode then seriously drained colour would be the result.

The only suggestion I have to offer is, does it also happen if you use a media player on the PC (I use MPC-HC) and play a video fullscreen?

If it does, try MadVR if you aren't using it already. It has a "debug OSD" feature where you hit a hotkey during playback (Ctrl J by default I think) to show all kinds of technical debug info onscreen.

Also, have you tried a game that actually supports HDR, does that work normally?

Associate
OP
It does sound HDR related - the fact of being off on the PC might not mean anything if the TV itself is somehow switching to expect a HDR signal - if it received SDR when in HDR mode then seriously drained colour would be the result.

The only suggestion I have to offer is, does it also happen if you use a media player on the PC (I use MPC-HC) and play a video fullscreen?

If it does, try MadVR if you aren't using it already. It has a "debug OSD" feature where you hit a hotkey during playback (Ctrl J by default I think) to show all kinds of technical debug info onscreen.

Also, have you tried a game that actually supports HDR, does that work normally?

It certainly is HDR related, 100% now.

I just can't figure out how to prevent it from going to HDR!

I've realised also, when I open a game, and go to the games display settings, if I adjust the brightness etc it doesn't even change anything, so the TV is the problem here I think. There is no option whatsoever to disable HDR.

I tried enabling the HDR on windows 10 settings but that will not switch on.

There's only one game I really play, which has been working fine for a while now all of a sudden it's drained out.

I downloaded that application, it allows you to turn on HDR and thats exactly how my game looks when I open it, grey and drained!

Thanks for the reply!

Associate
Dunno what to suggest in terms of stopping the TV doing that, since I'm not familiar with it. Does it have any kind of advanced settings to do with disabling automatic HDR detection, anything like that? Maybe try an option to reset it to factory default settings if it has one.

Associate
OP
No worries! No, nothing like that, i've tried resetting the TV and still nothing so i'm thinking it's starting to be a windows 10 problem.

Thanks for your inputs!

Associate
OP
You have a Nvidia GPU, don't you? Check the colour settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

Yes I do,

I have checked them. Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything remains the same when I open the game.

HDR is turning on, I just need to prevent HDR turning on while using this game, why isn't this a feature lol what a mess!

Soldato
I have checked them. Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything remains the same when I open the game.

Go to Change Resolution, change it to Use Nvidia colour settings, then adjust Output colour depth and Output colour format and make sure Output Dynamic range is set to full.

Associate
OP
Go to Change Resolution, change it to Use Nvidia colour settings, then adjust Output colour depth and Output colour format and make sure Output Dynamic range is set to full.

I have already tried this and there was no option to put it Full. The game I play does not support HDR anyway.

I've looked everywhere in menu to turn off HDR, no option. HDR is off on windows (won't let me turn it on anyway)

I factory reset my TV, nothing changed.

I reinstalled the game, nothing changed.

Associate
OP
Turn off HDR on your Sont TV or PC. If that doesnt help, then change the hdmi cable or port.
It might help
Couldn't find the HDR setting, don't think you get them on TV's.

Windows won't let me even turn on the HDR option either.

I tried changed the cables and the port, still nothing different unfortunately :confused::mad:

Associate
Couldn't find the HDR setting, don't think you get them on TV's.

Windows won't let me even turn on the HDR option either.

I tried changed the cables and the port, still nothing different unfortunately :confused::mad:

Try to downgrade your graphic driver or do a full system format. that might help

Back
Top Bottom