Tv issue

Soldato
no shocker here, 5 year warranty expired couple of months back and no the problems start.
over the last month the tv has been baking a loud pop sound when turning on but has worked fine.
since yesterday iv now got an issue where the tv wont turn off. well i can hit the power off button and it goes into standby but powers itself back on again and off and on and keeps cycling unless while its off i hit the power button on the remote to turn it on and it then stays on.
so issue is it wont stay in standby mode and keeps trying to turn on.

anyone know what this issue could be? its a Toshiba 75 incher so its gonna be an issue to take it off the wall for me too. costco has 5 years warranty but Order placed on 04/06/2018 so now its out.

i get the feeling this could be a capacitor issue but again no sure. will probably have to get it off the wall and open it up and check it out.

Have you placed model number + type of fault into a search?
yep, its a 75u6763db toshiba 5 and a bit years old. i think it also goes under the name of vestel. may not be common enough for issues.
kiddo says its powered off now so i will go and check. knowing my luck it probably wont power back on lol.

dunno always had toshiba until a few months ago 50inch started playing up spoke to toshiba as tv was only 15months old and told by them it only had a 12 month warranty..... customer services were very offhand and even after trying to get a out of warranty repair were next to useless. comment we sell them not repair???.
checked the boards to make sure nothing stood out and noticed most of the boards all made by vestel.
its now back in its box in the garage .

yep, its a 75u6763db toshiba 5 and a bit years old. i think it also goes under the name of vestel. may not be common enough for issues.
kiddo says its powered off now so i will go and check. knowing my luck it probably wont power back on lol.

If its Vestel & broken out of warranty then either have a go at repairing it yourself, put it on the auction site as spares or repair or take it to the tip. A Vestel telly that age may well be uneconomical to repair or the parts required will not be available.
Tip: if it says made in Turkey on the telly or the box it comes in then It's going to be Vestel. There's a lot of tellies out there that have been made by them and have brand names such as Tosh/JVC/Hitachi/Bush & the cheap Panasonic Models slapped on them.
In my experience Vestel tellies has not been good. They fail after a few years as far as I'm concerned so I tend to avoid them.
As a former telly salesman I'm glad I'm out of that line of work now, the market was going down the route of 'your few years old telly is not worth repairing, for not much more you can have a new one with all the bells & whistles & 2 or 3 times the screen size compared to what you paid for your last telly' marketing. It has now arrived and shows no signs of slowing down.

The market is also heading towards live streaming/on demand based content so it will be only a matter of time before TV aerials will become obsolete.

5 years, probably write it off and buy a new one. cost of repair probably not worth it tbh and Toshiba TV are not well known- these days - for a decent TV.

Cost me just over a grand so would have expected it to go 10+ years.
Odd that if its left on it stays on with no issues. Just doesnt want to go off. In saying that it somehow was off all night. Have yet to try turning it on today.

I had an issue like this with our small TV. I think it was the Sky box switching it on...not sure though as at some point it did stop powering on. I replaced the power board as @Armageus suggested and I think it's OK. We never use it to be honest, but it does work when we need it

I had a similar problem with the tv keep coming on and going off at random and it turned out to be a short in the side buttons, I unplugged the cable from the power board to them (back off job) and hey presto fault cured.

Had the same on a Toshiba, it had a 2 year warrenty from Richer sounds, 2years and 1 month would' switich on, customer services didn't want to know.

Replacing the power board will likely be worth a try - did that on a cheap noname TV before that had issues turning on, and was fine for another 5 years or so (until I was actually ready for an upgrade), was something like £30 for a replacement.
issue isnt turning on. issue is turning off. it doesnt want to turn off. however its not been used today an its been off all night so will test it out later today.

also got to ask now, whats good brand for reliability? samsung, lg, sony etc ?

Any HDMI device that could be using CEC to turn the TV back on?

Low batteries in remote? (as can cause random issues)

Does it do the same with a physical power button on the TV vs the remote's power button?

Anything changed with the room layout that could cause stray light/reflections to hit the IR Sensor?

Any HDMI device that could be using CEC to turn the TV back on?

Low batteries in remote? (as can cause random issues)

Does it do the same with a physical power button on the TV vs the remote's power button?

Anything changed with the room layout that could cause stray light/reflections to hit the IR Sensor?
nothing new in the room, tv is connected to nvidia shield tv which i did disconnect to test.
didnt test the physical button need to find where the buttons are iv only ever used it with the remote.
will test tonight and post back

Last edited:
nothing new in the room, tv is connected to nvidia shield tv which i did disconnect to test.
didnt test the physical button need to find where the buttons are iv only ever used it with the remote.
will test tonight and post back
When you test with the physical button, might be worth removing the remote from the room (just to rule out any stray signals coming from it etc)

- 5 years family use out of a remote control is pretty good - the conductive membranes on the keys don't last forever,
and the buttons can end up sending the command twice, or not at all.

I repurposed an sky remote (which could be used as a universal for tv's) for controlling a philips tv where it's remote wasn't working correctly,
but I' had used both IPA and servisol to clean membrane, which were in retrospect not the right thing - only use detergents now.

Back
Top Bottom