Tv issue

Entirely possible it’s either a capacitor or as suggested the entire power board. Replacing either wouldn’t cost that much and really isn’t too difficult. The power board would be a few screws and some connections to remove and replace. The capacitor is a little more tricky, but if you’re any way handy with a soldering iron it’s entirely doable.

I fixed a friends TV a few years back with a spare power board sourced from eBay.

If it was my TV I’d have it off the wall and strip it down for a good look around. Dodgy caps will be easy to spot as they normally dome at the top.

No way I’d be binning it until I’d tried everything.

Edit - one other thing, not sure if it’s been tried/suggested, but might be worth removing the batteries from the remote and trying the physical buttons on the TV, just in case the remote is defective. Some remotes can work from another room so removing the batteries is the best way to be certain.

Last edited:
Plot thickens
I left tv on and out of the house wife message me asking if it ok to turn tv on and watch. Interesting looks like if left on home screen tv powers itself off after inactivity time and stays off till remote button is pressed to turn it back on.
Must have been what happened yesterday night since tv was off when i came back in morning

Plot thickens
I left tv on and out of the house wife message me asking if it ok to turn tv on and watch. Interesting looks like if left on home screen tv powers itself off after inactivity time and stays off till remote button is pressed to turn it back on.
Must have been what happened yesterday night since tv was off when i came back in morning
Scratch that it was boot looping when i got back so must have been something else

ok i took the tv off the wall and its on the floor now, i found the buttons but no way im gonna be able to reach those with my hand when tv is on the wall.
will take the back cover off tomorrow and take a look inside. should give enough time for the caps to discharge too.

some pics of the tv while its off the wall:
IMG-20231106-225113.jpg

IMG-20231106-225140.jpg

IMG-20231106-225224.jpg

IMG-20231106-225414.jpg

ok i took the tv off the wall and its on the floor now, i found the buttons but no way im gonna be able to reach those with my hand when tv is on the wall.
will take the back cover off tomorrow and take a look inside. should give enough time for the caps to discharge too.
Can you test it with the physical buttons while it’s off the wall?

think i found the problem pics:

IMG-20231107-103009.jpg

IMG-20231107-103918.jpg

the green thingys are popped. i think these are thermistors, cant tell what type and rating they were but found another green one next to another black box same as one in the pic which i think is a relay of sorts so not sure if they were all the same rating.

also extra pics of the boards inside and some closeups:
IMG-20231107-102013.jpg

IMG-20231107-102024.jpg

IMG-20231107-102035.jpg

IMG-20231107-102042.jpg

IMG-20231107-102105.jpg

IMG-20231107-102219.jpg

IMG-20231107-102232.jpg

IMG-20231107-102240.jpg

IMG-20231107-102247.jpg

IMG-20231107-102255.jpg

IMG-20231107-102301.jpg

IMG-20231107-102310.jpg

IMG-20231107-103053.jpg

where to go from here? i can solder and replace them but not sure what spec and type they are unless i just go with the same type that was in the other area of the board. the one green one i found is marked SCK 102

odd i would have thought something blown would prevent the tv from turning on and not from turning off lol. either way finding something popped is good news rather than finding nothing.

Good find! Yup those are definitely popped :eek::D

Edit - which board is it? You could search for the schematics

Edit2 - looks like the power board

Last edited:
£85 on ebay for replacement, so I'd definitely be having a go at fixing it
This is likely the best option. Seems that thermistors blowing in that way indicate that you have an open circuit, or a short somewhere causing it. Replacing the entire board will be the best chance of repairing it.

If you simply replace the thermistors they will blow again, unless you track down the underlying problem.

At this point it depends how good you are at soldering and what equipment you have. If you can replace those components, it could be as cheap as pence, to find them online or from china. As above though, instead you could just get a replacement board and it's simple unplugging and replugging things back in? I think it's well worth it for £85 personally.

This is likely the best option. Seems that thermistors blowing in that way indicate that you have an open circuit, or a short somewhere causing it. Replacing the entire board will be the best chance of repairing it.

If you simply replace the thermistors they will blow again, unless you track down the underlying problem.
True. I agree.

id be inclined to go with a replacement board if the tv did not power on at all. but this is not the case. remember folks the issue is that the tv once turned on wont turn off. now i dont know if thermistors can cause that sort of issue.
iv checked the mosfets with multimeter and not seeing any shorts , the 2 blown thermistors have resistance values of 38.5ohm and 226kohm. the not blown one on the board has a reading of 14.2ohm.

wondering what would have caused them to blow? mains spike? or another failed component on the supply? once tv is powered on it runs non stop so there is that. also looking to get a small extension plug with switch on it to manually cut power to tv, not ideal but damn sight cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom