• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TW Troy keeps crashing my PC hard!

Associate
Hi,

I don't play very often nowadays but during the last couple of weeks I experience two issues with TW Troy:
1) graphics card seems to overheat and hard crash my PC. Its rebooting, fans speed up and then turns off
2) during a battle I get a red triangle sign that my fps is below 30 (3440x1440)

I guess its overheating because when I keep the side panel off from my case, everything works fine.
However I tested with Furmark but neither CPU or GPU crashed during the tests.

Anything else to try?

RXT2070Super, driver: 471.68
i7-9700
4x8GB G Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZB running at XMP and not oc anything.

Thanks

Soldato
You already diagnosed you have an overheating issue because it's okay with the side removed.

The solution is to clear out the dust and check your fans. Fans at the front should be sucking the air in. Fans at the back/top should be blowing air out.

Man of Honour
If you want to test everything at the same time (max power draw) with one program then download OCCT and run the power torture test. It loads everything to 100% and is meant to test the psu but is also useful for potential temperature problems. It makes my pc hit 458w at the wall and nothing else comes close to that much load and power draw.

Soldato
If you want to stress test your PC run Furmark and Prime95 at the same time or run OCCT.

You should install some monitoring software like MSI Afterburner and have the overlay onscreen when running TW Tory so you can see what your temps, GPU load, fan and clock speeds. I should note though that unless your GPU is reaching 100c (at which point it should automatically down clock itself) it's doubtful that heat is the issue more likely some ingame incompatibility issue.

I'm not familiar with Troy but I've played a lot of Total War games (going back to Shogun 1) and most are normally full of bugs and the game engines although technically impressive have horrible performance issues that CA never or rarely fixes. Shadows are the worst offender though, try turning down or turning shadows off and that should give you a boost in performance (especially if Troy uses that same engine as Rome 2).

Last edited:
Soldato
Very important for this game: do NOT put grass above ultra. Extreme can murder even 16c CPUs. Shadows aren't as extreme (heh) but are also very taxing. In general I'd recommend high settings & also make sure to cap your FPS. Oh, and of course, no MSAA.

Back
Top Bottom