Twin Towers steel set for US warship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Originally posted by PurDunamis
Thats the thing - I don't see 1.6 billion tonnes of debris as a symbol - its just a mess that needs to be cleaned up, any recycling the steel make good economic and environmental sence. I don't want to sound heartless, but it just seems very strange to me that some people seem to have an emotional attachment to the rubble from a tragedy like this.

At least it's doing some good instead of being stuck on a landfill!

My word, I'd have thought they'd have been more annoyed that it is just dumped in a landfill!

Soldato
IMO a very good idea.
I know that in some senses it will be to some a reminder of a tradgedy, however it is also a statement of determination to make some good out of a tradgedy.

What better way than to make something that is used to defend against other attacks?

I'm not always a great supporter of the USA, but I think this shows good sense both economically and from a position of national pride for them.

Soldato
They only used that place to dump it cos it was the nearest site with enough space and logistics suitablility. Presumedly the plan was always to recycle the steel etc.

Does seem 'fitting' in one one way to ensure some of it is used in a warship bearing the name of the city of origin, but does seem kinda tacky in other ways.

Associate
Messing with a Nd:YAG, DCM and a Raman Shifter
Like I said before - I don't think this is deliberate, the name of the ship was probably choosen as mark of respect/rememberance. The souce of the steel used in its construction is just a conincidence

Originally posted by Ednagold
hmmm i'd rather it went to something useful.....

A ship is usefull - the quantity and grade of steel involved make a ship about the only likely destination for the scrap.

I really think that people are reading way to much into this.

Associate
Originally posted by FrgMstr21
EdnaGold

Why is a Warship not useful ?? :rolleyes:

America has a shedload of them already, they have easily one of the largest resourced armies in the world. And i think it was some symbolic sign to say they're gonna find the people who did it. The world would be a lot more peaceful if we banned all weapons of any kind so people had nothing to kill each other with.

Associate
The world would be a lot more peaceful if we banned all weapons of any kind so people had nothing to kill each other with.

Take your rose tinted glasses off, we (the world) have banned all sorts of weapons, but there are still mad men out there that will do whatever it takes to get them. Iraq / N Korea, In the news right now trying to get hold of and/or exporting weapons.

Soldato
The world would be a lot more peaceful if we banned all weapons of any kind so people had nothing to kill each other with.

Disagree totally.

Imagain we ban weapons in every country...

Terrorists will simply go further underground, build weapons, and attack us. As we would have no defence, we would be easy targets.

Associate
After the collapse of the world trade centers there was enough concrete to build a road from new york to washington 2 metres wide, and so much steel the market was flooded. Although I understand the emotions that amount of steel is an absolute gold mine...

Permabanned
Annual military expenditure (in billions of dollars):

USvsWorld2002.jpg

NOTE:
"Allies" refers to the NATO countries, Australia Japan and South Korea.
"Rogues" refers to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria.

Chart created by the Center for Defense Information

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Tru
Whether by accident or design its typical of the USA.

Why is it typical of the US? The UK builds there warships out of steel too.

What do people want them to do with it? put it ALL into a muesum? Warships take many years of planning and funding to build, its only been one year. I find it very hard to believe that soon after 9/11 a plan for a warship was in the making and they planned to use the steel. They probably had a plan for a long time now and it just so happens they have a great supplie of steel in which it make it from. The name of the ship may be on purpose but its only a name.

We also have to remember that not ALL of the steel is being used on the ship, there is a LOT of steel in the twin towers. Also the metal is going to be melted down and shaped into different sturctures, so the metal isnt in the same form as the 9/11.

Last edited:

jezpgreat

J

jezpgreat

Originally posted by Dilbert
Annual military expenditure (in billions of dollars):

USvsWorld2002.jpg

NOTE:
"Allies" refers to the NATO countries, Australia Japan and South Korea.
"Rogues" refers to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria.

Chart created by the Center for Defense Information

Theres nothing wrong with that, just means they invest in the armed forces more, I mean they get better equipment becuase they invest. Also they are a lot bigger than everybody else. The employment costs are higher in the USA compaired with Russia and china so they have to spend more to get the same job done. If you know about american and russian early atomic subs - the russians used very little shielding for the reactors, but the americans used lots to protect the men.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Stiff_Cookie
Why is it typical of the US? The UK builds there warships out of steel too.

What do people want them to do with it? put it ALL into a muesum? Warships take many years of planning and funding to build, its only been one year. I find it very hard to believe that soon after 9/11 a plan for a warship was in the making and they planned to use the steel. They probably had a plan for a long time now and it just so happens they have a great supplie of steel in which it make it from. The name of the ship may be on purpose but its only a name.

We also have to remember that not ALL of the steel is being used on the ship, there is a LOT of steel in the twin towers. Also the metal is going to be melted down and shaped into different sturctures, so the metal isnt in the same form as the 9/11.

You may well be right, just seems a bit typical of the US if they did do it on purpose.

jezpgreat

J

jezpgreat

Whats wrong if they did it on purpose ?, I think its a fitting tribute that out of the ashes rises a warship to help stop things like that happening again (in theory anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom