Twitter followers

Caporegime
I signed up to Twitter a few months ago, basically to see what was going on after an incident in a city where I have relatives. I now have 5 followers, 2 of them are people I know so fair enough, but the other three have profiles of attractive young ladies who tweet facebook pseudo-inspirational nonsense like "Never trust anyone who says they truly know you". Obviously this is a scam of some sort, I don't believe there is a real person behind these accounts, but what is the scam here? I can't work it out.

Are they expecting me to contact them and eventually send cash over to Ukraine or somewhere so they can come and visit me?

Caporegime
OP
Just spam accounts. Could be for any reason, just block and report and move on.

Yeah but they aren't spamming me because I'm not following them - I don't see any options to block them either. I'm just curious why these accounts exist, I'm afraid that twitter is all a bit beyond me.

Edit: nm - found how to get rid of them lol

Permabanned
I'm just curious why these accounts exist,

For the same reason obviously fake Facebook profiles of attractive young women have so many followers. Advertising.

Person creates Facebook profile using generic attractive lady picture, starts shotgunning followers, gets followed back, continues this until they've amassed several hundred or several thousand followers (even using other fake profiles they've created).

They then sell these accounts on certain websites to advertisers, who know have a profile they can use to spam several thousand people in one go.

Rinse and repeat.

Caporegime
Last time i logged into twitter i was following and being followed by 700+ people.

Mostly arab type people.

Me thinks my account got hijacked and used in a buy a follower BS scam :(

Back
Top Bottom