• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Two GPU's

Associate
Hello all,

I am considering a new PC build in the new year and was tempted by the idea of two graphics cards instead of one. I am planning on using my new build primarily for gaming and using multiple virtual machines for work practice. Can anyone please give me an insight to if it is actually worth it? From my current understanding it doesnt bring much benefit to game smoothness or FPS, but will it benefit using virtual machines for pen testing?
Tho it does seem graphics cards are in short suppply at the moment!
Any help and advice will be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks
xr3iracer

Associate
SLI is dead

Not necessarily, it still works on many games and some actually work better in SLI. The problem is that game developers don't create any SLI profiles anymore at least the majority, meaning it doesn't work well or at all in most cases and workarounds are nessacery but it will be a difficult process for the average computer nerd, some require edits in specific files and others can be solved by assigning another profile, but it's not easy.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input. I will probably just go for the one for now. Dont think it will affect any of the work i currently do massively so will save the pennies for another part instead.

Associate
Not necessarily, it still works on many games and some actually work better in SLI. The problem is that game developers don't create any SLI profiles anymore at least the majority, meaning it doesn't work well or at all in most cases and workarounds are nessacery but it will be a difficult process for the average computer nerd, some require edits in specific files and others can be solved by assigning another profile, but it's not easy.

all the more reason not to waste 3.5k on gpus. lol also that all has to be done again again everytime there is a new driver update..its a total waste man. SLI is dead. i tried it back in the day and it was hell not worth it. but whatever floats your boat.

Man of Honour
Hello all,

I am considering a new PC build in the new year and was tempted by the idea of two graphics cards instead of one. I am planning on using my new build primarily for gaming and using multiple virtual machines for work practice. Can anyone please give me an insight to if it is actually worth it? From my current understanding it doesnt bring much benefit to game smoothness or FPS, but will it benefit using virtual machines for pen testing?
Tho it does seem graphics cards are in short suppply at the moment!
Any help and advice will be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks
xr3iracer

I'm curious as to why you would need GPU acceleration on a vm for pen testing? Put simply I don't think the second GPU would be of any use at all. At best you pass through the GPU to a VM but unless you have gpu accelerated code so opencl/cuda etc. I'm pretty sure pen testing loads or at least ones I know of would not be gpu accelerated.

Associate
I have had SLI for years. Fewer games seem to work completely "out of the box" and most need at least some tweaking, but an increasing number just don't support SLI at all. I got tired of it and have been waiting until a single GPU would be a significant improvement over 980Ti SLI.

Soldato
Another previous 980Ti SLI User, I would say definitely not worth it, as said already buy fastest single card you can afford. Back then it wasn't great with few games actually supporting it, it's even more of a redundant feature now.

Top Bottom