Two new opportunities

Caporegime
This is also a good tactic though!

I wonder if it is (part) of the reason for the stats you've shown too, people know they're often valued based on what they're already earning. There is also the issue that if you weren't happy and/or were looking to leave anyway then there probably aren't going to be substantial changes in most cases.

Just double check your contract as well for any "restrictive covenants" - Working for a direct competitor, is normally covered by some kind of contract wording etc. Depends on the industry etc but worth checking that as well. (saying that restrictive covenants aren't really worth the paper they are written on most of the time - had plenty of threats in this area in the past and all came to nothing)

Yeah, I guess that varies a bit - if they make them too broad or for too long a duration relative to the actual need then they can't necessarily be enforced. I've had 6 month and 12 month non competes, though the'yve also been reduced down to like 3 or 4 months once the employer has had a rethink or (presumably) some lawyers have advised them that if they want them to be enforcible they need to limit them a bit more in scope.

Also, I guess it depends what they're protecting - if you're in say a sales-related role then whether they choose to try and enforce it might depend on how much of a threat you are - are you going to take away a bunch of clients and cause them damage relative to the cost of enforcement etc.. Ditto to IP, have they got it in place for everyone in certain roles but there are some key people who they'd get rather more concerned about than others re: their knowledge of current IP. In the case of some IP, in particular hedge funds, they can go to extreme lengths to protect it involving shady shenanigans with private detectives etc.. (a friend's brother had his house bugged and was followed by a surveillance team for several months).

The other issue is if there is a relationship between your old employer and your new one, if there is a non-poaching clause then it's game over potentially or the new employer has to buy you out of it.

Soldato
never take a counter offer.

On the flipside, my partner did accept a counter offer from her extremely large multi-national consumer-packaged goods employer a few years ago and it has paid off dividends. She's had a number of promotions since then and is currently on track to become a director.

Her director at the time really let her down which is why she started to apply externally. When she got the counter offer it came with a move to another part of the business and her new director is amazing by comparison.

It's untrue and unfair to blanket statement this approach with "you'll be doomed".

Associate
OP
So the counter offer matches the new offer, just to confuse things a bit more. The key driver, honestly, was financial. I felt totally underpaid and this has basically demonstrated I was right, but I do have a positive relationship with the rest of the management here including the directors. There's been some disagreements over the last few years but looking at it pragmatically, I've generally been happy where I am.
It's a small company, talking 40 people at the head office, so everyone knows everyone.
Now, financially, staying put actually puts me in a better situation over the next year or 2 at least, and as above certainly improves my apparent worth without having to jump ship. Plus they've agreed to invest in better software/equipment to make the work more efficient (for whatever those words are worth)

Genuinely torn now, needs a long think about to resolve.

Caporegime
So the counter offer matches the new offer, just to confuse things a bit more. The key driver, honestly, was financial. I felt totally underpaid and this has basically demonstrated I was right, but I do have a positive relationship with the rest of the management here including the directors. There's been some disagreements over the last few years but looking at it pragmatically, I've generally been happy where I am.
It's a small company, talking 40 people at the head office, so everyone knows everyone.
Now, financially, staying put actually puts me in a better situation over the next year or 2 at least, and as above certainly improves my apparent worth without having to jump ship. Plus they've agreed to invest in better software/equipment to make the work more efficient (for whatever those words are worth)

What about other benefits? How much paid time off do you get compared to the new role? Bank holidays? Working hours? Commute? Side benefits/discounts? Expectations to answer the phone or pick up emails outside of work hours? All count towards your work/life balance and are important considerations.

Soldato
When she got the counter offer it came with a move to another part of the business and her new director is amazing by comparison.
This is no doubt the real key part to that though.

Yea, that's a tough one. If it was purely you didn't feel you were paid enough and now you feel you will be, then fair enough. I'd still do a comparison of all the things mischief said, too. Just so you can do a fair side by side. Ultimately, it's down to you and you do what feels right. If you stay and it ends up being ****, you apply for new jobs and leave on a higher salary, so...

Soldato

Tell new firm and get them to up their offer. Worst case keep current job.

Back
Top Bottom